• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independant Financial Advisors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independant Financial Advisors

The missus is retiring next year and her employer sent her on a pre-retirement course. One of the speakers at the course is an IFA and now she is having a one hour 'free' consultation, next week. After that he charges by the hour, plus comission on products.
    First off I dont like the idea of courses being used for touting for business, second I have never been convinced that IFA's are worthwhile.

What do you reckon ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    The missus is retiring next year and her employer sent her on a pre-retirement course. One of the speakers at the course is an IFA and now she is having a one hour 'free' consultation, next week. After that he charges by the hour, plus comission on products.
    First off I dont like the idea of courses being used for touting for business, second I have never been convinced that IFA's are worthwhile.

What do you reckon ?

Essentially the more the IFA charges you up front the better they are. i.e. if they take it only on the hours that's best, if they take it only on commission that's worst.

IFAs are really highly qualified nowadays. The exams are a b1tch. Everything they do is scrutinised. That kinda thing quickly adds up to real money, which someone along the line has to pay.

Now paying it all up front is too big a chunk for many, hence many clients prefer to split the payment between consultation and the commission (even though they end up paying more, think of the extra as interest payments on the loan for the big chunk they should have paid).

Yet, when all is said and done: you pays your money, and you takes your choice.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

merci
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

My cousin recently changed careers from bank manager to IFA because it pays a lot better money, so I suspect they are in the same league as solicitors when it comes to fleecing people with the minimum of effort.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Independent - and, to be picky, Adviser, if you're British.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

What do you reckon ?

Anyone can set themselves up as an IFA, I knew someone who was a double glazing salesman that became one with little or no training.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Anyone can set themselves up as an IFA, I knew someone who was a double glazing salesman that became one with little or no training.

Aren't they regulated by the FSA nowadays?

I know some old timer insurance brokers that sold up when they had to become FSA regulated due to all the restrictions, hassle, and endless red tape.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                No, they can't. Maybe years ago, before all the pensions miss-selling, but not now. Nowadays you need at least an FPC level 3 exam to be allowed out on your own to visit clients.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Aren't they regulated by the FSA nowadays?

I know some old timer insurance brokers that sold up when they had to become FSA regulated due to all the restrictions, hassle, and endless red tape.
                  I don't think they have to be, but perhaps more and more, anyone can still call themselves an IFA or certainly they could until recently. There used to be many a cowboy schoolboy thicko IFA which has always put me off. Moreover, Is there anything they do that cannot be done by someone who is half financially literate apart from make commission?
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

IMHO no need to pay an IFA in this day and age.

Use t'internet to find out what you need and save yourself bags of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X