• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airmen told 'no uniforms in city'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airmen told 'no uniforms in city'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/7282348.stm

Interesting bit of PC press censorship going on here, abuse from "local people" and a "cross section of the community" who oppose the wars, while an interview with someone from the British Legion (who possibly hadn't read the PC script) on Sky News mentioned the abuse was mainly from people from "overseas" who were not "English", but some chav kids were copying the abuse.
    The media are absolutely terrified to report anything more specific.
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 7 March 2008, 08:08.

Even those you allude to have the right of freedom of speech

>runs away quickly<
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I agree, I'm all for free speech, people are welcome to protest against the wars if they want (but not abuse forces personnel).

The point is the way this story is reported, in the interests of "social cohesion" no doubt. I heard the interview with the British Legion chap, then it was reinterpreted by someone else into something different - and I bet they won't broadcast what he originally said live again.

I think the other reason this story is being manipulated is because according to the government the wars are supposed to make this country safer from the threat of terrorism. Of course the opposite is happening.
      You can do a tour of Helmand Province but parts of British cities are no go areas. Its ridiculous.
      Last edited by GreenerGrass; 7 March 2008, 08:39.

Comment

When I worked in the City (London) I would wear a suit. You ought to have heard the abuse I'd get occasionally on the way to the train station in Doncaster. Yet compared to that received when I wore a military uniform, it was much of the same.

So, it's not so much a military uniform thing, as it's an abusing people who do something thing. There are just too many care-in-the-community-chavs who aren't given a damned good thrashing to teach them their place on a regular basis.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          When I worked in the City (London) I would wear a suit. You ought to have heard the abuse I'd get occasionally on the way to the train station in Doncaster.
          Q - What do you call someone from Doncaster in a suit?

A - The accused

IGMC

Comment

This banning uniforms in public is nothing new.

A mate of mine in the navy has had to do the same, mostly due to the locals getting jealous when the sailors pinch all the fit women in the bars and clubs and subsequently get into lots of fights.

It scuppered my plan of hiring an outfit when I went down there for a weekend of boozing recently. I'd have more red caps chasing me than birds.

Plan B of turning up in a wet suit and claiming I was a navy seal would probably have been met with , despite woman's general love of seals.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Bad decision. I think the station commander over-reacted based on poor advice from the RAF police.

When I was in the RAF you couldn't wear uniform in public but that was when the Micks were constantly trying to blow us up and there was a specific threat against us. This is just a bit of verbal from the local yokels (oh yeah, and the Eastern Europeans, of which there are shedloads in Peterborough).

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Even those you allude to have the right of freedom of speech

>runs away quickly<
                I'm all for free speech. but abusing people in the street is not free speech. Abuse is abuse - if it had been a load of white people abusing the muslim population then the police would have taken action. Why did nobody take any action in this case.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Spot on.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    This banning uniforms in public is nothing new.

Plan B of turning up in a wet suit and claiming I was a navy seal would probably have been met with , despite woman's general love of seals.
                    A bit dodgy if you go clubbing

IGMC

Comment

Working...
                    X