• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Releasing Equity in your home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Releasing Equity in your home

Hi all I have between 15-25k in my home, how do I go about releasing 5k from this? Is it a long drawn out process? does the money HAVE to be used for home improvements? Do they check?

Thanks

Usually the companies that do this have a minimum age requirement.
    Otherwise it's just like a second mortgage ......
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Just ask your lender for a further advance
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
        Usually the companies that do this have a minimum age requirement.
        Otherwise it's just like a second mortgage ......

Can I not just do this through my mortgage company?

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
          Hi all I have between 15-25k in my home, how do I go about releasing 5k from this?

I think you'll find it will be releasing itself without any difficulty as the house prices dive into negative equity.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Can I not just do this through my mortgage company?
            Not all mortgage companies offer equity release - AFAIK.

Yes, you just apply to increase your existing mortgage and use the extra equity as collateral.

I'm not an expert by the way.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Hi all I have between 15-25k in my home, how do I go about releasing 5k from this? Is it a long drawn out process? does the money HAVE to be used for home improvements? Do they check?

Thanks
              Due to the risk of a market fall most lenders dont want to lend more than 90% of the property value these days.

So if your property is worth 120K and your mortgage is say 100K, then you might be able to increase your loan to 105K.

But if its worth 180K and the mortgage is 160K, they will probably say no in this market.
              Last edited by Iron Condor; 7 March 2008, 10:03.

Comment

Thanks
                Sell your house. Buy a house £25k cheaper. Hey presto, you have £25k cash.

Comment

does anybody remember the old days, parent's and grandparent's generations when the idea was to pay off the mortgage

funny old world

we're heading into a potential slump and people want to increase their credit liabilities

what do I knows eh

Milan.

Comment

I know people that have gone silly extracting equity from their homes to fund frivolous things.

They seem to think just because on paper their house is worth a lot more than they paid that they can extract that money as if it's already theirs.

They seem to ignore the fact they still have to pay it back, and on a repayment scheme of 20 or more years they'll be paying a damn site more interest than a normal personal loan.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X