• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

E-mail is runing my life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-mail is runing my life

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7281707.stm

"Some hire e-mail consultants"

I wounder what the day rate is?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Ron Tomlinson HAS to be related to Ricky....thats uncanny!

Comment

Is this accurate? I'm not sure it is. But. as it's written by a very clever man, who am I to argue...

You shouldn't open a spam e-mail, because as soon as you open the e-mail up, it notifies the organisation that has sent that, saying this is a valid e-mail address. They know how long you've looked at it, when you looked at it and did you go back to it.
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
          Ron Tomlinson HAS to be related to Ricky....thats uncanny!
          Ray looks like him too.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Is this accurate? I'm not sure it is. But. as it's written by a very clever man, who am I to argue...

Yes, it is true, if they embed a html link that is activated when you open the mail. Each mail has a unique ID so they know who has visited their spam site and can verify your address.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You don't have to click on said link then?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Yes, it is true, if they embed a html link that is activated when you open the mail. Each mail has a unique ID so they know who has visited their spam site and can verify your address.

with todays email clients you don't have to open the email to read it. Even on Outlook you can see waht is says in the preview pane.

Anyway, spam filters catch 99% of all the spam I get...and my ISP email gets the spam filtered out before I download it to my email client.
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

But anyone daft enough to use a mail client which will do that automatically deserves to be spammed to death...
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    You don't have to click on said link then?
                    I think you do if it's a straight forward hyperlink. Never seen a link automatically activate and open a browser when opening emails.

The method they use that doesn't require any further interaction from the user apart from opening the email is to embed images linked back to their server, so they can tell which email address downloaded the images. Hence Outlook and most decent email clients supress images on any unknown sender until you tell them it's safe.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X