• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this theft?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this theft?

Bank charges me £5 for going overdrawn when I did not, so I call them. They tell me it will take them 2 weeks to review the matter.

I said but hang on I clearly did not go overdraft I don't even have one!

Still in the 5 minutes it took them to take it the cash, it will be at least 2 weeks before it can be refunded.

Is this not theft?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

No, it is called banking.

HTH
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I call it theft. If someone on the street did this to me I'd be calling the police.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You are lucky it is £5 and not the standard £38!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I call it theft. If someone on the street did this to me I'd be calling the police.
          You and me both.

Banks are the root of all evil.

Oh, and religion too.

And yeah, Clare Balding too. Her square head annoys me.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

"The actus reus of theft is usually defined as an unauthorised taking, keeping or using of another's property which must be accompanied by a mens rea of dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use." [Source: Wikipedia]

They don't intend to permanently deprive you so, in the eyes of the law, it's not theft.

Interesting subject this theft lark. My daughter who is currently doing 'A' Level Law was talking about some silly examples of what is and isn't theft from her textbook.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Write a strongly worded letter to Watchdog.

Copy your MP.

Copy the bank.

Then by the time you've done that, you'll have waited the two weeks and got your £5 back.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Bank charges me £5 for going overdrawn when I did not, so I call them. They tell me it will take them 2 weeks to review the matter.

Still in the 5 minutes it took them to take it the cash, it will be at least 2 weeks before it can be refunded.

Is this not theft?
                I can't wait till that unauthorized overdraft test case finishes with the banks...

They stand to lose billions if they lose it... And I'm really looking forward to seeing those #$@%%$ go down!!

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG View Post
                  .. They don't intend to permanently deprive you so, in the eyes of the law, it's not theft ..
                  Unless they intend to permanently keep the interest on £5 over two weeks. It's a double benefit for them, as they have the extra £5 to lend over that time, and they needn't pay the interest to the customer.

Might not be much, but it's the principle that counts.

Comment

A & L ?

Is this not theft?
                    Sounds like A & L to me, they've 'reduced' charges for bouncing a ch/dd, but charge £ 5 a day for each day going over the o/d limit - could be up to £ 150 p/m!
                    Probably assume that £ 5 is not worth arguing about.

Comment

Working...
                    X