• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatcher in hospital for checks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7284697.stm

Baroness Thatcher has been taken to hospital for tests, a spokeswoman for the Conservative Party has confirmed.

The former UK prime minister, 82, was driven from her home to St Thomas's Hospital in central London, where she is said to be undergoing checks.

In 2005 Lady Thatcher suffered a series of strokes and was advised by doctors to refrain from making public speeches.

Lady Thatcher was prime minister for 11 years before being ousted as her party's leader in 1990.

The Conservative Party spokeswoman said: "We have been in touch with her office and we wish her well."
    Just what Britain needed at the time
    68.52%
    Hate her with a passion
    14.81%
    Not bothered either way
    9.26%
    AndyW
    7.41%

The poll is expired.

She was the kind of person any decent country would be honoured to have as citizen.

Comment

The inventer of ice cream, mr whippy, in hospital, oh sheet. Hope she pulls through.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I think maggie was not just needed at the time. And what is needed now!

Anyone who disagrees should read the Telegraph more.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          She was the kind of person any decent country would be honoured to have as citizen.
          decent country? so that excludes Russia then?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Prime minister

Hear Hear!
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Sorry to spoil the Maggie love-fest but a few of the problems the country faces now can be traced back to her, like:

- the destruction of manufacturing industry
              - the "selfish" ideal that led directly to chav culture and the "me me me" society
              - the materialistic attitude that has driven the debt-fuelled economy of recent times

And although she made a difference at the time, I doubt her legacy will remain.

Hence I vote for andyw
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Sorry to spoil the Maggie love-fest but a few of the problems the country faces now can be traced back to her, like:

- the destruction of manufacturing industry
                - the "selfish" ideal that led directly to chav culture and the "me me me" society
                - the materialistic attitude that has driven the debt-fuelled economy of recent times

And although she made a difference at the time, I doubt her legacy will remain.

Hence I vote for andyw
                Council tenants were enabled to buy their homes, foreign exchange control was abolished, many state-owned industries including British Telecom and British Airways were privatised, the top tax rate was slashed from 83% to 40%, new laws were created so that landlords could get their property back from tenants (which gave rise to the boom in buy- to-let), foreign students were charged for comimg to British universities, trade unions ceased to be major political forces, the European Union reluctantly gave Britain a big annual rebate, pensioners were given tax relief for health insurance, government spending fell from 45 per cent of the economy to 39 per cent and so on. The list is too long to give in full. As a result, Britain was transformed from being the sick man of Europe to the fastest growing of its major countries

I vote for Maggie

Comment

She stole my milk!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    She stole my milk!
                    But gave your parents 5 times the value in child benefit increases.
                    If they spent the money on other things, blame them not the government

Comment

Working...
                    X