• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oops they did it again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops they did it again

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3512212.ece

THE cost of family cars is set to rise under plans for a new “showroom tax” to be unveiled in this week’s budget.

Milan

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3512212.ece

THE cost of family cars is set to rise under plans for a new “showroom tax” to be unveiled in this week’s budget.

Milan
    Erk!

That will hit the Touring caravan and trailer boat industries heavily as well as the consumers that buy them.
    Me included.
    So it looks like holidays abroad for me from now on, which slightly defeats the object of the exercise doesn't it
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

My own version of this plan (trademarked in my head before labour came up with theirs) was to have new cars with above-median CO2 charged a tax and cars of below-median receive the same amount as a subsidy. The median to be measured and applied on monthly basis.

This is much better way to incentivise migration towards more efficient vehicles than penalising owners of existing vehicles via increased road tax or congestion charges.

One could apply a similar principle in other areas, e.g home energy. Subsidise the bills of those with low consumption by surcharging those with high. This raises the marginal cost of electricity and gas (increasing the incentive to make savings) without increasing the average cost.

Comment

Originally posted by the article
        “People don’t take much account of the cost of car tax and fuel when buying a car, it is the price sticker in the showroom that makes the difference,” said a senior Treasury official.
        Yes that's right we're all stupid. The cost of running a car never even enters our heads. Please help us government, we just don't know whats best for us, we need protecting from ourselves.

Arrogant fkwt public sector wastes of carbon.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
          Yes that's right we're all stupid. The cost of running a car never even enters our heads. Please help us government, we just don't know whats best for us, we need protecting from ourselves.

Arrogant fkwt public sector wastes of carbon.
          Yeah, I love the idea that anything over 220 gms/km is a gas guzzler as well (and this from someone whose car is rated at 223...).

And if we all switch to 120 gms/km cars tomorrow it will reduce UK's CO2 emmissions by around 1%, and we're only 2% of the world's total anyway. But look forward to seeing further "green" (ie vote raising for Joe Sunreader) rises on fuel and road tax next week and nothing to help our dire economic future...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's only fair
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Yeah, I love the idea that anything over 220 gms/km is a gas guzzler as well (and this from someone whose car is rated at 223...).
              Good news. Band G is > 225 g/km not 220 g/km.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                My own version of this plan (trademarked in my head before labour came up with theirs) was to have new cars with above-median CO2 charged a tax and cars of below-median receive the same amount as a subsidy. The median to be measured and applied on monthly basis.
                The overheads of administering this would not be low, and the Govt would never hand back the money they managed to steal from taxpayers anyway.

Comment

If you are going to tax high emission cars it does make some sense to put a bit of that tax on new vehicles, as opposed to adding it all to band G road tax which unfairly punishes weekend sports cars.

Of course the government will probably be greedy and put several thousand pounds on band G cars in one hit rather than phase it in slowly, and cause havok in the used car market. Car companies will respond by tuning their UK vehicles to the top of each CO2 tax bracket. Expect to see lots of cars at 225 g CO2/km, particuarly with the new congestion charges.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Usually there is pretty damn close correlation between fuel usage and CO2 emissions - since fuel usage takes into account actual pollution made by a particular vehicle then it makes sense to tax fuel rather than have some notional fees that don't take into account usage. Problem is - they tax fuel a lot already.

Comment

Working...
                    X