• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance photo-journalist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance photo-journalist

Hi, I am giving up my permanent job to become a freelance photographer. Would I be better off by incorporating or by being a sole trader?

Kind of depends on the money you are likely to be earning. Generally speaking I would recommend Ltd Co in all cases but very small projected earnings as there are compelling reasons (not just tax) for trading through a Ltd Co. However, these, and the tax reasons, probably do not add enough to the business to make it worth the effort and extra cost if you're going to be very small time.

My company has produced a guide covering all the points you need to consider. PM me if you want a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by journoman View Post
      Hi, I am giving up my permanent job to become a freelance photographer. Would I be better off by incorporating or by being a sole trader?
      You might want to ask the same question on this site http://www.freelanceuk.com/.

There will be people there that are more familiar with your type of circumstances.

Comment

It depends also on how you will be selling your work.

Most IT contractors rely on Employment Businesses to find work, and contract to them. EBs will not deal with a sole trader in case they get clobbered for NI / tax, therefore Ltd or an umbrella company is the only way to work (unless going direct to a client).

If you can "get away" with not having a Ltd then I would do it as a sole trader while you can. But as Gonzo points out, you may be better asking this on FUK rather than CUK.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          You might want to ask the same question on this site http://www.freelanceuk.com/.

There will be people there that are more familiar with your type of circumstances.
          Thanks Gonzo. I followed the link to freelanceuk and it's just what I am looking for, even has a photo forum!

Comment

Working...
          X