• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future - back to living in straw huts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future - back to living in straw huts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/7275312.stm

A £24m funding package was put together earlier this year to help first-time buyers in Scotland get a foot on the property ladder.

But just how much would they have to spend to build their own home?

The answer could be as little as £4,000.

That is the estimated price tag attached to a property which has been built in southern Scotland over the past four years.

The walls are made of straw, the roof out of turf and much of the rest of the building from items other people threw away.

The end product is a warm and watertight cottage which gets its water supplies by gathering rainfall and its electricity from a car battery.

Sounds a perfect BTL opportunity.

I believe the water companies charge you for collecting and using rain water for household use...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The house I live in currently has a straw roof and many of the walls are made from mud. It was built in 1600, so I'd suggest there's no'w't wrong with the materials.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        I believe the water companies charge you for collecting and using rain water for household use...
        Only if you have mains drainage to carry the waste water away.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          All your rain belongs to us.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            The house I live in currently has a straw roof and many of the walls are made from mud. It was built in 1600, so I'd suggest there's no'w't wrong with the materials.
            Old disused badger den
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I saw something like that on Grand Designs a couple of years ago.

Do you need planning permission to put a haystack in your field?
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                I saw something like that on Grand Designs a couple of years ago.

Do you need planning permission to put a haystack in your field?
                If you intend it to be a permanent structure, then yes, you do.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  If you intend it to be a permanent structure, then yes, you do.
                  How long does it need to be there to be classed as permanent? Nothing is really permanent anyway.

Maybe if it was built on wheels it would be exempt? That guy who builds vehicles out of sofas and other novelty items has missed a trick here.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Contractor in yellow rain fiasco

Sewage goes out the window then ?
                    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                    X