• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying gold - physical vs ETF's?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying gold - physical vs ETF's?

Buying gold. Still a good medium term investment?

Also, I see that buying gold sovereigns is exempt from any CGT as they are still legal tender. Better than buying into an ETF when it comes to selling up?

Your insightful, relevant and reasoned comments please.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Buying gold. Still a good medium term investment?

Also, I see that buying gold sovereigns is exempt from any CGT as they are still legal tender. Better than buying into an ETF when it comes to selling up?

Your insightful, relevant and reasoned comments please.

BTL
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3510752.ece

Might be of interest, read this one in the sunday times, all about investign in gold at the moment.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        BTL
        Well obviously, but just imagine for a minute that buying Gold was safer than houses at the moment.

Anyone?

Comment

Ive stuck this years ISA allowance into the Meryll Lnych Gold & General fund.

Invests in lots of gold miners, rather than just buying a pile of the physical stuff and sitting on it. So it should be able to generate income even if gold prices dont go up any more (although I think they will).

As long as the companies in question can get it out of the ground chepaer than they can sell it on the open market, the fund will be cash generative.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Well obviously, but just imagine for a minute that buying Gold was safer than houses at the moment.

Anyone?
            Read my link. It'll answer your questions.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
              Ive stuck this years ISA allowance into the Meryll Lnych Gold & General fund.

Invests in lots of gold miners, rather than just buying a pile of the physical stuff and sitting on it. So it should be able to generate income even if gold prices dont go up any more (although I think they will).

As long as the companies in question can get it out of the ground chepaer than they can sell it on the open market, the fund will be cash generative.

Please stick to the subject. Physical gold vs ETF's

PS. Gold miners are often riskier than gold.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                Will do, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Was all great until:

Merryn Somerset Webb is a former stockbroker and now editor of Money Week.
                  She's the bint that keeps saying buy into Japan every year and every year the market falls another 30%.

Still doesn't tell me whether sovereigns make a better investment in Gold than an ETF.

Please try harder.

Comment

Gold Bugs,

don't forget, when owning AU becomes illegal, anything you hold in ETF's etc will be liquidated at market value.

Think on that one.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X