• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good spots for a holiday/language class

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good spots for a holiday/language class

Planning ahead for my holidays this year. Fancy heading off somewhere for a month.

Thinking of either a language course in Berlin or Buenos Aires or a beach in South East Asia somewhere.

Probably be flying solo so the idea of doing a summer language school is appealing. Done it before and had a great time. Great way to meet loads of new people.

Anyone have something to recommend?

Buenos Aires is fantastic, though don't fancy your chances of getting much study done in the ultimate vampire city (Plus it'll be winter there in our summer).

I did a language course in Guatemala, which was fantastic - though not sure how long you'd want to stay there for. Quito is also great and famous for language classes, and both places are cheap!

If you're not that fussed, and fancy learning and travelling just jump on the backpacker trail around south america - you'll easily meet and hook up with people all the time (I did it for 9 months, never had a problem meeting people).
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

shagfest in thailand?
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Only got four weeks though so it is more of a holiday than a go travelling thing.

Comment

Mexico or Guatemala would get my vote every time. It'll be pretty hot though.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thailand is great, but no idea why you'd want to learn Thai - not much use and plenty of Thais speak English already.

If I'd a month I'd go to Mexico, pick a couple of spots to learn language for a week or two and do a little travelling - it's an amazing place when you get away from the tourist hotspots (Which are hideous), massive country with loads of diversity and super friendly people plus some decent weather.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Thailand is great, but no idea why you'd want to learn Thai - not much use and plenty of Thais speak English already.

If I'd a month I'd go to Mexico, pick a couple of spots to learn language for a week or two and do a little travelling - it's an amazing place when you get away from the tourist hotspots (Which are hideous), massive country with loads of diversity and super friendly people plus some decent weather.

Minus points for the chance of kidnap.

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                Chance of kidnap in Mexico is next to zero. You're much more likely to have your bus held up at gunpoint and lose all of your stuff. The chance of that happening is probably about 1%.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Antigua, Guatemala is a lovely place to spend a bit of time. And it's cheap and easy to do a language course.

Kidnappings on offer too, but not for cheap tourists ...

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                    If you're a rich oil worker, staying in el DF, then possibly you should be worried. If you're a backpacker type bumming around the rest of the country then you're biggest fear is petty theft (Or maybe some of the larger cities late at night). I spent two months wandering around mexico, had a blast, met loads of fantastic people and didn't meet anyone who was a victim of serious crime (PLenty of petty thefts though).

But hey, that's a great attitude - don't go to anywhere off the beaten track, it may be dangerous. In my experience, and opinion that's precisely the kind of places you'll have the best times in (One month in Columbia was one of my life experiences). I truly feel sorry for people who've never travelled outside of their comfort zone - you're missing the best things in life.

Comment

Working...
                    X