• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thank God I'm long out of school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank God I'm long out of school

Article about banning homework for primary age kids (which I'm all for).

Its guidelines for schools in England say children should be doing homework from the day they start school, rising from one hour a week at five, to 90 to 150 minutes a day at 16.
    150 minutes a day!! They'll never fit that in what with all the drink and drugs they're doing these days...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Article about banning homework for primary age kids (which I'm all for).

150 minutes a day!! They'll never fit that in what with all the drink and drugs they're doing these days...

Its an outrage, what happened to kids being kids?

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
      Its an outrage, what happened to kids being kids?
      Both parents working
      Mass hysteria over paedophilia
      National Curriculum
      Hoddie hysteria
      Robotic banal 'on message' homework

..all to create distance between adults and children to allow the State to take over the full role of parent.

Comment

Homework for primary kids is more for parents to take some f'in interest in their kids education than anything else.

Parents who expect schools to take full responsibility for a child's learning deserve to end up with McDonald's workers for offspring.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have three Primary school aged kids and they really enjoy their homework. They do about 20 minutes a day which is more than enough.

90-150 minutes a day at 16+ is unrealistic. I would say that an hour is fine though with a bit more if there are exams/projects to be done.

Comment

Guidelines schimelines. We were told at school we should be doing an hour to two study at home every night and at weekends, I did approx that a month.

Besides, kids just go on google questions or Yahoo answers to get thier homework done these days.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

er, whats 150 minutes in hours ? like
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                er, whats 150 minutes in hours ? like
                If my client asks 2 professional days

Comment

2.5 hrs a day on top of ordinary school day. No wonder there is a disipline/drink/drugs/health/obsesity problem among the youth. Poor gits. Sod this govt and their poxy targets etc. What does all this 'rote' learning do anyway?

I never did any homework, left school at 16, but still got 2 science degrees (in those days Uni was a privilage and us Engineering nerds had to work hard), became Chartered Engineer, head of dept etc.... Then blew it all by going contract
                  Last edited by Turion; 10 March 2008, 19:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    What does all this 'rote' learning do anyway?
                    Well, as you 're in an IT forum, let me explain in IT terms

rote = answer immediately available in RAM or application array
                    non rote = answer available via a function

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X