• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ask for a bit more whilst being referenced and sc'd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask for a bit more whilst being referenced and sc'd

Hi there fellow contractor's as a low level contractor I am starting work on a gov't contract, my friend who is currently working there is going through the same IT agency turns out he is almost 100pound less per day then me, but I actually feel that I could get more out of them, I havent started yet I am currently in the very final stage of getting my Security Clearance confirmed since I currently maintain it and its a large Bluechip company providing the IT services to the Gov't department, since I havent started yet maybe I should demand more money like an extra 50quid a day, I know its too late for my mate and he will need to ask for a rise in 3months.
    What do you think is it too cheaky, after all its a real hassle going through the SC procedure and im pretty sure they are desperate, its not like im scanking the Bluechip company its just some large IT agency and I just got a sense i could ask for more money from the agent who sounded almost guilty that I am only getting X amount.
    After all they will need me as they are busy and I know it must be a hassle for them to get ppl on site?

Great thinking! You're going to do well at this game.

"Don't ask, don't get."
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

You'd get nothing from me - you agreed the contract at a rate that you are happy with, so why should they pay you more?

And learn how to include a paragraph break.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Think you the relationship between Master and Padawan is only to help them? Oh, this is what we let them believe, yes! But when the day comes that even old Yoda does not learn something from his students-then truly, he shall be a teacher no more.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

You may be cutting your nose off to spite you face.

Where I work, they "don't do" rate rises. Never had a rate raise in the last 3 years since I started.

A few contractors who did gently speak to the agency or the client direct have sort of "disappeared".

The rest of us keep our heads down and know what's good for us.

It pays the bills and gives some spare change for beer tokens, so it's better than the dole.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I don't know who I disagree with more here. Putting up the price you'd already quoted for no reason other than awkwardness might work in the short term, but your client will take an immediate dislike to you and start trying to replace you from day 1. They may be desperate, but desperate people are often unpredictable.

But no price rises in 3 years because the client "doesn't do" them? Grow some spuds man! You're the supplier, you set the prices. I bet half the contractors who look all meek and mild and supposedly keep their heads down have been secretly hiking their prices faster than a Harare hooker.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              IHarare hooker.
              Is that what you spend your millions of (zim) dollars on

Comment

hello all thankyou for your responce's so far.....

Sorry when I am asking for a rate rise I am assuming that the IT agency is getting like 500-700pounds a day and i get my cut out of it, so I think its damn right out of order if tehy are making a mint out of me, I dont want to get money out of the client which i deam to be the bluechip company running the gov't department.

I would not risk that by all means, but honestly i just got this feeling about them that they have already screwed my mate out of almost 100pounds but yet I could get atleast 40-50pounds more a day.

I am going to ask and make a demand in a professional manner,

Good Evening

Comment

You're the supplier, you set the prices
                  I'll have to disagree with that one.

The market sets the prices, and there is always someone willing to do the job cheaper.

Eg, the 1st line support teams got all angtsy about a year ago on their daily rate. They were semi-technical staff. So the whole lot were "replaced" with "phone answerers" on half the daily rate of the original 1st line staff.

The last 2 contractors who asked about having a rate rise, since in the last 3 years, it has got more expensive to live, whereas our rate hasn't moved were told "There is the fecking door. Someone else will easily walk in the other way at your rate less 25%".

The trouble is. They are right.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    I'll have to disagree with that one.

The market sets the prices, and there is always someone willing to do the job cheaper.
                    The market does not set the prices. How much the client needs you sets the prices. I have to agree with thunderlizard - you and your fellow 'contractors' (and I use the term loosely here) need to grow a pair...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X