• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This sort of litigation annoys me and forces up insurance costs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sort of litigation annoys me and forces up insurance costs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7289051.stm

An accountant is suing Marks & Spencer for more than £300,000 after claiming he injured himself during a shopping trip by slipping on a grape.
    Alexander Martin-Sklan, 55, from Golders Green, north London, tore the tendon in his right leg in the car park of his local branch in June 2004.

He said a piece of fruit found on his shoe after the fall could have been picked up inside the store or car park.

The retail giant is contesting the High Court claim.

Mr Martin-Sklan, who is representing himself, is claiming for lost earnings on top of his general damages, because "loss of confidence" and depression following his injury led to him being unable to recruit new clients and contacts for his business.

He also said the physical effects stopped him from skiing and playing football or tennis.

What a cock. Hope he loses. Slipped on a grape in the car park.

In total agreement. Can't anything just be a simple accident any more?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

What a cock. Hope he loses. Slipped on a grape in the car park.
      I agree. Tendon torn to shreds by a grape. FFS!

Comment

Depression eh? Bloke needs to get a grip.

Big girls blouse!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Some years after a head on collision - caused by a fault in my company car (permie at the time) - the other driver sued on the grounds that the car was being driven recklessly (er... no... the steering just stopped working). One of his claims was that the shock of the accident had triggered depression leadign to a gambling habit!

Never knew the outcome. I assume the insurance company settled. But I rather hope not.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Some years after a head on collision - caused by a fault in my company car (permie at the time) - the other driver sued on the grounds that the car was being driven recklessly (er... no... the steering just stopped working). One of his claims was that the shock of the accident had triggered depression leadign to a gambling habit!

Never knew the outcome. I assume the insurance company settled. But I rather hope not.
            I'll bet they didn't settle.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Another example of why we are in the proverbial hand basket and travelling at full steam.

You can't turn on the TV or open a paper without the debt management and no-win no-fee adverts.

Slipped on a grape FFS!

Comment

I hope this one runs and runs and coont ends up with £500K in legal expenses to pay.

No doubt slipping on a grape infringes his hooman rights.

Comment

I assume it let out a little whine.

IGMC

Ooo, I could crush a grape.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I slipped on a pencil that the wind blew across the floor which is obviously due to global warming caused by emissions from cars fuelled by oil companies. NEGLIGENCE!

Comment

Working...
                    X