• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oath of allegiance to the queen.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oath of allegiance to the queen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287984.stm

1st step on the path to reclaiming our empire. What ho.

What feckin planet are these people living on?

OK being a Jock and republican (Not the Irish/terrorist kind) and a Celtic fan I may be slightly biased, but still seems like a dumb idea all the same.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Hmm! if they take the oath and later in life commit an act of terrorism in or against the UK, They can be hung for treason.

I like it, it should be compulsory, for immigrants too
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Other proposals are thought likely to include a revamp of Britain's old treason laws, such as sleeping with the wife of the heir to the throne, which is punishable by life in prison.
      Talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

Comment

The days when swearing an oath to the Monarch as some sort of unifying gesture are at least 30 years out of date. The same must be said for the Union Flag too I am afraid.
        This is just another gimmick from the man who rubber-stamped the legality of the Iraq War. The only hope for this initiative is for any oath to relate specifically to the rights, freedoms and tolerance we have in this country.
        Something like that just might unite the disparate bodies, but I can't see it flying really.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I was listening to that idiot Goldsmith on R4 this morning. It amazes me people cannot see the link between the loss of 'Britishness' and teaching british history in school.

Then again, it is NL...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            The days when swearing an oath to the Monarch as some sort of unifying gesture are at least 30 years out of date. The same must be said for the Union Flag too I am afraid.
            This is just another gimmick from the man who rubber-stamped the legality of the Iraq War. The only hope for this initiative is for any oath to relate specifically to the rights, freedoms and tolerance we have in this country.
            Something like that just might unite the disparate bodies, but I can't see it flying really.

Strange isn't it that the "Oath of Allegiance" is taken VERY seriously in the USA.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Banksy
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287984.stm

1st step on the path to reclaiming our empire. What ho.

What flipin planet are these people living on?

OK being a Jock and republican (Not the Irish/terrorist kind) and a Celtic fan I may be slightly biased, but still seems like a dumb idea all the same.
                From where comes the feeling that the government have the right to impose a particular belief on free people? I am not loyal to the queen. Why should I have to be? I accept only contracts that I have entered into freely.

Comment

I am not loyal to the queen. Why should I have to be?
                  She's the Head of State isn't she ? So I don't think you really have much choice old boy. Gawd bless Our Queen !
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I had to do it when I applied for a british passport and citizenship.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X