• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

flat tax system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat tax system

Because I can't be bothered searching the interweb for the answer, I thought I'd put my question out here instead:

What is the governments argument against a flat tax system?

I'm sure somebody here will know. Failing that, I'm sure someone will act in the true interests of CUK and make something up...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Because I can't be bothered searching the interweb for the answer, I thought I'd put my question out here instead:

I'm sure somebody here will know. Failing that, I'm sure someone will act in the true interests of CUK and make something up...

It's not "fair"

HTH

Comment

Its not complicated enough.

Comment

It would be far too easy to implement and manage, and would therefore result in massive job losses at HMRC. Non-starter I am afraid. The Unions would not stand for it.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

No proof of effectiveness in a developed economy (but Hong Kong has a flat tax system)

One bizarre one (from the left) was that increasing the personal allowances would have the effect of taking a lot of poorer people out of the tax system and they would then be stigmatised as non contributing members of society.

Comment

it would much minimise the possibility of tax errors so HMRC chasing people for 88p would be a thing of the past
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's too simple, and therefore doesn't need an army of public sector workers to administer it all which would raise unemployment.

New Labour = make things as complicated, lengthly and costly as possible to hide incompetence and fiddle figures.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                No proof of effectiveness in a developed economy (but Hong Kong has a flat tax system)

One bizarre one (from the left) was that increasing the personal allowances would have the effect of taking a lot of poorer people out of the tax system and they would then be stigmatised as non contributing members of society.
                Yes, that is bizzare. As I assume they currently receive more than they put in, I'm sure this would affect them greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  the effect of taking a lot of poorer people out of the tax system and they would then be stigmatised as non contributing members of society.
                  They already ARE in my book. Parasites!!! Grrrrrrrrrr
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

hmmm, I see a pattern forming. It confirms my suspicions...

Comment

Working...
                    X