• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House price downturn worst since slump of 1990s, surveyors report

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grainne Gilmore and James Rossiter

The housing market experienced its most severe downturn since the housing slump of the 1990s last month, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) will say today.

More surveyors saw house prices fall in February than any other time since June 1990. The RICS gauge of house price trends fell to minus 64.1 per cent last month, down from minus 54.8 per cent in January. In June 1990, the balance was minus 64.5 per cent.

There was also evidence that activity in the housing market has stalled, as RICS said that stocks of unsold property on surveyors’ books jumped to a ten-year high. The average number of unsold properties per surveyor rose to 92, up 8.5 per cent from January, and an increase of 48.6 per cent since February last year. This is the highest figure since 1989, when the number of unsold houses averaged 93 per surveyor.

Ian Perry, of RICS, said: “The build-up of unsold stocks will encourage buyers to negotiate lower asking prices.” (AtW's comment: no you numpty, this will encourage buyers to wait and hopefully encourage banks not to give morgages to every Jack, Peter and Bob. )

Surveyors reported that house prices fell most sharply in Yorkshire and Humberside, the East Midlands and East Anglia, while prices in London, Wales, the North and North West declined at a more modest pace.

Tighter lending criteria and uncertainty about the economic conditions have also weakened demand among buyers, RICS said.

The balance of surveyors reporting a fall rather than a rise in new buyer inquiries was 37 per cent, up from 35 per cent in January.

The big exception to this trend is in Scotland, where the gauge of house prices soared to 25 per cent, up from 7 per cent in January.

Grant Robertson, of Allied Surveyors in Glasgow, said: “After a period of readjustment, some normality is returning to the market.”

Property sales increased marginally to 24.4 per cent, up from 24.3 per cent in January, but this was still 14.3 per cent lower than the number of completions in February last year.

The gloomy figures come as the head of one of the UK’s largest housebuilders gave warning that thousands of jobs will disappear in the construction industry unless the base rate is cut sharply. Malcolm Harris, chief executive of Bovis, said the housing market was at a “tipping point” as he warned of thousands of job cuts across the industry unless interest rates are reduced from 5.25 per cent to 4.5 per cent by the end of the year.

In a trading update, Mr Harris reported that his company’s forward order book at the end of last week was 20 per cent down on this time last year.

Mr Harris said: “We need interest rates to come down to 4.5 per cent to assist affordability. There should have been a quarter point cut last month. If [buyer] confidence does not come back and demand not improve then the whole sector will have to reduce operations. Our suppliers will have to lay off people and we will lay off people. That will lead to an economic slowdown.”

Suppliers range from carpenters and bricklayers to carpet fitters.

The slowdown in the housing market has already hit Bovis’s annual pretax profits, down £12 million to £123 million for the year to December 31. It sold 2,930 homes, 193 fewer than the previous year.

In the last housing crash of 1989 to 1992 construction workers were able to find some jobs in the commercial property market where recession only began in 1992. This time round both the housing and commercial property markets are feeling the squeeze at the same time. Bovis has trimmed back its borrowing to just £44 million, meaning gearing it is at an historic low of just 6 per cent in anticipation of a tough year’s trading ahead.

Region by region:

Proportion of surveyors reporting changes in price over the past three months

North-39%
    Yorks and Humber -64%
    North West -41%
    East Midlands -70%
    West Midlands -62%
    East Anglia -61%
    South East -53%
    South West -55%
    Wales -49%
    London -40%
    Scotland 25%
    Northern Ireland -95%

Source: RICS

How much money has the SKA made Alex?

Still living the dream?

I see you are still obsessing about house prices whilst living with no income.

They could fall 80% and you still couldn't buy one.

Comment

True, but at least I would have lived the dream and made a good effort.

Comment

You could have gone contracting and banked maybe £150K by now.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Still living the dream?
          I hear there a new blockbuster movie coming out:

Dances with Squirrels

(a Fox Warner Production)

This is the inspirational tale of a poor Russian peasant boy, rejected by conventional society because of his 'odd ways' who takes to the wilderness to commune with the furry ones.

Who do you reckon for starring role? Jeff Bridges? Jimmy Krankie?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You could have gone contracting and banked maybe £150K by now.
            This is true. But I am sure I would not have learnt a lot of stuff that I did in the last 3 years. I value this knowledge higher than £150k.

Comment

Stop piddling around with the "node" and get the majestic-seo site up to scratch.

You have wasted your time.

Comment

indeed
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Stop piddling around with the "node" and get the majestic-seo site up to scratch.

You have wasted your time.

I need to finish it - it is important for my plans, few days and I hope it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    This is true. But I am sure I would not have learnt a lot of stuff that I did in the last 3 years. I value this knowledge higher than £150k.
                    Not seeing the forest for the trees - the classic techie delusion.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X