• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheshire's fate finally sealed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheshire's fate finally sealed

http://www.wilmslowexpress.co.uk/new...finally_sealed

A CRUNCH vote in the House of Lords to save the ancient county of Cheshire from being split in two was defeated by just 11 votes on Tuesday.

The debate by the Merits of Statutory Instruments Committee on restructuring of local government in Cheshire ended in a narrow victory of 83 for the split and 72 against.

Leading the debate Baroness Andrews said despite the passion raised by peers opposed to the changes there was "a broad section of support" for it.

Lord Dixon Smith said: "It is a mess".

The debate was the final hurdle for the bill which will now pave the way for local government reorganisation in Cheshire.

The number of councils in the country will be cut from seven to two unitary authorities and the county council will be scrapped.

Earlier the House of Commons approved restructuring by a majority of 127.

But 151 MPs voted against, including Tatton MP George Osborne who stood down from the front opposition bench to speak out as a back bencher to oppose the changes.

He said: "I spoke from the backbenches, a very unusual step but I feel very strongly that local government reorganisation is a waste of time and money.

"I wanted to keep the existing two tier system of local government and asked why we couldn’t have a referendum and let the people decide.

"It is alarming that since the process began, the Government’s estimates of the cost have nearly doubled, and the estimate of the savings has nearly halved."

There were angry scenes when the plans were debated, with MP Gwyneth Dunwoody telling the Government she was astounded by the way they were putting the whole of her constituency through the mangle at enormous speed.

Following the defeat Mr Osborne said: "Of course we will try to make the arrangements work and we will do everything we can to ensure that disruption for local people is kept to a minimum."

Elections to the new Cheshire East unitary authority will take place in May.

Meanwhile Macclesfield Borough Council is seeking fresh faces and the town hall has released a new brochure aimed at encouraging residents to take to the hustings.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Apparently it will cost millions to save millions

but hang on

"It is alarming that since the process began, the Government’s estimates of the cost have nearly doubled, and the estimate of the savings has nearly halved."

Marvelous
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 11 March 2008, 21:12.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Where have I heard that before...?
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Apparently it will cost millions to save millions

but hang on

Marvelous
        But at least they ARE saving money.

What's the problem?

tim

Comment

Saving Cheshire ?

I thought that was a cat ?

Oh hang on..the interweb thingy says it's a county in the UK.

When did that naughty little minx sneak in ?
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

IMHO, this type of debate is the sort that is partly responsible for politicians having a bad name.

quote from Gwyneth Dunwoody "she was astounded by the way they were putting the whole of her constituency through the mangle at enormous speed."

I would bet that 99% of her constituency don't give a monkey's whatsit, what the structure of the council that they pay their taxes to, looks like.

Abolishing the County Council doesn't abolish the County of Cheshire, it will still exist, it will still be on the map but you wouldn't think that was the case from this sort of debate.

tim

Comment

Stand by for even more huge increases in local taxation folks. As all the staff get "promotions" and travelling expenses to pay them to reorganise. I'm sick of this gov't is there no end to the ineptitude and "fiddling while Rome burns" mentality?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Who cares?

If our Altrincham contingent is anything to go by they're all pretentious lisping twats anyway.

Comment

Christ, I thought I was in trouble for a minute.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bagpuss

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    Where have I heard that before...?
                    Practically everywhere that politicians try to initiate a project.
                    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                    X