• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IVF - Are you Deaf?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVF - Are you Deaf?

Is it wrong to select a deaf embryo?
    By Clare Murphy
    Health reporter, BBC News

New fertility legislation will make it illegal to use embryos with a known genetic abnormality in IVF treatment when ones without the same defect are available.
    Some deaf activists contend they do not have a disability
    For a long time, the debate about the genetic testing of embryos has focused on whether we should stop people creating the "perfect" person: blonde, blue-eyed, with athletic prowess and a high IQ.
    The Nazi spectre of eugenics has frequently been invoked.
    Now a deaf couple have turned this on its head: far from wanting a flawless child they actively want a baby which suffers the same hearing difficulties as they themselves.
    The couple have become icons in a deaf movement which sees this impairment not as a disability but as the key to a rich culture which has its own language, history and traditions: a world deaf parents would naturally want to share with any offspring.
    Moreover, they argue that to prefer a hearing embryo over a deaf one is tantamount to discrimination.
    But to others - both those who can hear and those who cannot - deliberately bringing a child with a disability into the world when one without could be born verges on the morally repugnant.

Slippery slope?
    Tomato Lichy and his partner already have one deaf child, for which they are profoundly grateful. Despite the fact that over time we have seen more and more rights for disabled people they are now seeking to establish a legal principle that deaf people are inferior

But they may eventually like another - and IVF, given the mother's age, may be the only option.
    Yet if the Human Embryology and Fertilisation Bill goes through as it stands, their chances of having a deaf child would be small.
    If they produced only deaf embryos, they would be allowed to implant one of these. However it would be highly unlikely that there would not be one without one of the deaf genes.
    If they chose to have their embryos screened, they would be obliged to to pick the embryo without the abnormality over the others. The screening would not however be obligatory, and they could take their chances in the hope that a deaf one is chosen.
    But the fact that they cannot give the deaf child preference over the hearing, Mr Lichy contends, suggests that his life as a deaf person is not one worth living.
    "The core issue is that the government is saying deaf people are not equal to hearing people," he told the BBC via an interpreter. (Ironic or what? Duh!! Hearing people do not need an interpreter Tomato!!)
    "Despite the fact that over time we have seen more and more rights for disabled people they are now seeking to establish a legal principle that deaf people are inferior - and there may be more laws once this gap opens."
    What message does it send to their deaf daughter, he asks, whom later they will have to tell: "We had a deaf embryo but the government said we were not allowed to have it".
    What is wrong with these people? (Yes I know, they are deaf!!)
    What right do they imagine they have, legally or morally, to increase the possibility of a child being born with an impairment however minor it might seem to them? More worryingly, why would you want to?
    They seem to have a hangup with their deafness that is overriding their good sense. Pretty ironic and bizarre that they chose to make the point so forcefully this morning on a medium (radio) that their disability prevents them from utilising anyway. They seem quite happy to use IVF to overcome one physical issue yet are reluctant to take it further by using it to increase their prospective child's chances of a full and healthy lifestyle. Selfish in the extreme and just highlights the huge chip they have on their shoulders.
    And another thing, who calls their child Tomato FFS??
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I thought the blonde eyed blue haired hi IQ thing was a pretty good idea.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      I thought the blonde eyed blue haired hi IQ thing was a pretty good idea.
      It has never done me any harm!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I think they have a right to demand a deaf child. Blind, limbs missing, ginger - anything as long as its not a jock.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Presumably these parents are willing to pay for all the extras that the child will need - like interpreters, lessons to learn the sign language, special considerations for employment etc - to live in a society that will be predominently alien to them.

I'm not in favour of selection of embryos for particular characteristics i.e. race, gender etc., but would definitely select in favour of lack of physical/mental defects etc.
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            Presumably these parents are willing to pay for all the extras that the child will need - like interpreters, lessons to learn the sign language, special considerations for employment etc - to live in a society that will be predominently alien to them.

I'm not in favour of selection of embryos for particular characteristics i.e. race, gender etc., but would definitely select in favour of lack of physical/mental defects etc.
            It would be hard to imagine CUK without sasguru though wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              It would be hard to imagine CUK without sasguru though wouldn't it?

Only because without him you'd have to think up something sensible to say.

Comment

Like immigrants have to, not?!
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

No the state and us are paying.

The law as it stands means that others - employers, retailers, banks etc - have to make the effort to ensure the deaf don't suffer any disadvantage in their dealings with them.

Seriously that couple should be tested to see if they have a "mental impairment".
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    No the state and us are paying.

The law as it stands means that others - employers, retailers, banks etc - have to make the effort to ensure the deaf don't suffer any disadvantage in their dealings with them.

Seriously that couple should be tested to see if they have a "mental impairment".
                    Yes, I know that WE pay.
                    Not the state, as all funds that the state uses are supplied by the taxpayers.
                    I was trying to suggest that as they make a deliberate act to create a child that has special needs then those special needs should be supplied by the parents and not by US.

Comment

Working...
                    X