• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Threaded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Threaded

I had a packet of Nobby's Chicken Balti Crisps this evening (quite nice, but tasted nothing like a chicken balti). Other than that being a demonstration of my racy lifestyle, there was an "interesting" factoid on the back of the packet.

It claimed that the reason the stereotypical pirate has an eye patch has some basis in historical fact, but not because many had only one eye or poor eye sight. On the contrary, it was common for the navigator on a pirate vessel to wear an eye patch during the day so that it became more sensitised to light, enabling easier navigation at night by the stars (which was when the majority of attacks on other ships were launched).

It also claimed that this forms part of basic military training to this day, enabling easier night fighting. So, as our resident fighting man, I wondered if Threaded could confirm or deny whether there are lots of eye patched soldiers wandering around in basic training?

Indeed.

In fact, the cheeky wink has its roots in piratical monocularity, and was originally a signal to say: "I'm a jolly sailor".

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
      was originally a signal to say: "I'm a jolly sailor".
      In some places, I think it still is. One day AtW will realise this

Comment

When I was in the CCF we were told to cover one eye whenever vehicle lights, flares or thunderflashes went off to preserve our night vision. It took some time for the night vision to kick in - you can see quite a fair bit in the night.

hyperD in "threaded" mode.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

True, also eating lots of carrots, and there's a more modern version as well: People with plastic cornea implants occasionally get called upon for various jobs...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The real reason

It makes it easier to use a telescope, instead of squinting for long periods.

Comment

I belive Apache gunship pilots do something like this. They wear some contraption over one eye so that they can learn to use both eyes independantly when flying the thing as it needs you to do lots of things simultaniously with each eye looking at different things

Of caourse I may be talking complete and utter tosh not being an apache gunship pilot myself

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                I belive Apache gunship pilots do something like this. They wear some contraption over one eye so that they can learn to use both eyes independantly when flying the thing as it needs you to do lots of things simultaniously with each eye looking at different things

Of caourse I may be talking complete and utter tosh not being an apache gunship pilot myself
                Its true. In fact I have two apache gunships at home and I use my left eye to fly one and my right for the other, allowing me to fly both at the same time.

Fl/Lt Threaded

Comment

Perhaps thhe typical squaddie, as well as carrots, should also be encouraged to eat lots of fish... brain food you know.

Doesn't wearing an eye patch bugger up your depth perception though? Or is the modern military solution something a bit more hi-tech than an eye patch?

Comment

Depth perception is only any use up to about 8 meters.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X