• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearnance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearnance

Hi - My SC Clearance is due to expire at the end of March - This is currently held by EADS - Ive just got a 3 month Contract with Siemens that requires SC Clearance and they are questioning its expiry date.
    Am i wrong in thinking that if its transferred across by the end date that it will still be valid or do I need to apply for it again.
    If I need to apply for it again how do I go about doing it.

Thanks for any help in this

Bobby g

Did you have the clearance, or your ListX employer?

It makes a difference when you finish.

If you were cleared because it was ListX, your clearance (including personal clearance) immediately ends.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I didn't think you could hold it yourself. The list-x company has to hold secret clearances. It can be transferred upto 12months after you left the company that holds it.

Comment

Clearance expires either when the clearance was due to run out (e.g. at the end of the original 10 year period) or one year after you stop working in an environment that requires security clearance, whichever is soonest.

If your clearance is still valid, then they can transfer your clearance to the new client or agency (assuming the agency is approved). If not, then you need to get the client or agency to start the clearance process for you again, which will take time.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Bobby do this and do it quickly.

1) Get the contact details of the EADS security officer, name, address, phone & e-mail.

2) Pass this information to the Siemens security officer before the weekend. Easter is coming up you've left it late and people take holidays you know.

To answer you question, as a contractor, you're security clearance will still be valid for up to 12 months after leaving x employer where it was required.

I don't require SC for my current position but I've had me client sponser me nonetheless as a condition of my accepting an offer of employment. As a contractor you don't wait until the last 2 weeks of when you clearance is due to expire only to learn no one will want to hear of you. I know it's not supposed to happen like this, but it does.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Bobby do this and do it quickly.

1) Get the contact details of the EADS security officer, name, address, phone & e-mail.

2) Pass this information to the Siemens security officer before the weekend. Easter is coming up you've left it late and people take holidays you know.
            Yep, cos they'll turn this around real fast...

(that was irony, in case you missed it)
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              Yep, cos they'll turn this around real fast...

(that was irony, in case you missed it)
              Hence the "before this weekend" quote...
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Its a ruddy nightmare, they asked me for my GCSE and A level certificates FFS.....

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Clearance expires either when the clearance was due to run out (e.g. at the end of the original 10 year period) or one year after you stop working in an environment that requires security clearance, whichever is soonest.

If your clearance is still valid, then they can transfer your clearance to the new client or agency (assuming the agency is approved). If not, then you need to get the client or agency to start the clearance process for you again, which will take time.
                  I thought it lasts 5 years if you were sponsored whilst in a contract role? I got mine in July 2003 and the last time I checked it was due to expire in July 2008.

Though SC is nothing special it has got me straight through the door on several occasions and the rate is usually a bit better as well, the trouble is I'm on the bench and it doesn’t seem to be in much demand at the moment but I need to get another SC role to get it renewed… getting a bit panicky now.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I thought it lasts 5 years if you were sponsored whilst in a contract role? I got mine in July 2003 and the last time I checked it was due to expire in July 2008.

Though SC is nothing special it has got me straight through the door on several occasions and the rate is usually a bit better as well, the trouble is I'm on the bench and it doesn’t seem to be in much demand at the moment but I need to get another SC role to get it renewed… getting a bit panicky now.
                    5 years was scrapped. It remains valid for 12 months after leaving x employer now.

Comment

Working...
                    X