• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

$ vs £ ETFs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$ vs £ ETFs

Looking at ETFs and stuff like gold, silver and grains can be bought in dollar or sterling traded funds. We all know the dollar is in freefall, but although the pound is strong against it at the moment, it could well fall back a bit closer to historical averages (maybe $1.75 per £) within a year.
    So best to buy dollar traded funds? Unless the BOE refuse to cut rates...and even if they do, they won't match the Fed which could take it down to 1%.

The rate at which they're printing dollars would worry me.

But the bigger question I have on these ETFs is why bother? The whole point of buying gold is to be insulated from currencies and banks.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      The rate at which they're printing dollars would worry me.

But the bigger question I have on these ETFs is why bother? The whole point of buying gold is to be insulated from currencies and banks.
      What's your solution, and can it be held in an ISA?

I just have a tiny amount in a £-traded gold ETF at the moment.

Will all these chavs with Sovereign rings suddenly become wealthy?

Comment

in a word,

yes

they will

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          in a word,

yes

they will

Milan.
          Isn't that three words?