• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a great budget!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great budget!!

I've just done the budget calculator on the beeb website and apparently, I'm around 250 notes better off.

Most, if not all of it, is down to the tax band changes which were announced last year.

And of course, I always believe what the beeb say...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

£100 worse off due to removal of 10% band.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

£350 better off. Not sure how though.

Comment

It's bulltulip. It's taking dividends as taxable income, and doesn't take into account the rise in CT

I was wrong.. ignore this post
        Last edited by MrRobin; 13 March 2008, 11:25. Reason: being dumb
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

haha, the BBC are pure propaganda.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm

Alistair Darling has unveiled changes to vehicle excise duty - reclassifying vehicles according to the levels of carbon dioxide they emit.
          While it should be good news for those with environmentally-friendly cars, it will hike the amount paid by owners of high-polluting vehicles who also face a "showroom tax" payable in the first year after they buy a new gas-guzzler

In fact pretty much all family cars have been shafted. Pretty much everything that's larger than a Renault Clio petrol. They don't mention that it's a massive tax-raising measure. Nor do they mention that it's a retrospective tax, because all those 2001 Mondeo Estates that were previously paying £210 in band F, have been shafted into £430 band L.

So that's going to be a lot of perfectly good tonnes of metal only used for a couple of thousand miles a year sent to the scrapyard well before their time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            £350 better off. Not sure how though.
            BBC lies.

They have not included the fuel duty increase, deferred for six months, even though you will be paying it for half the year.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              It's bulltulip. It's taking dividends as taxable income, and doesn't take into account the rise in CT
              Dividends ARE taxable income aren't they? Just at a different rate from standard income tax. That's my understanding anyway.

As for CT, that's a business tax, not a personal one.

I'm ashamed to be a member of CUK, what with you all insinuating the BBC are lying to the people...

Comment

I thought the new bandings only applied to new cars???

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
                  I thought the new bandings only applied to new cars???
                  Check page 131 of the full budget report.

(How sad am I?)

Comment

Cars after the 03/2001

Comment

Working...
                    X