• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confidentiality Agreements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confidentiality Agreements

Apologies for posting contractor related stuff but I'm mulling something over which I would like to put out to the esteemed CUK community.

I'm being asked to sign a confidentiality agreement which does the normal waiving of rights and vesting of IPR etc etc etc

I can't really see the point of it because this is fully dealt with in the contract. I'm sure some of you lot have come across this as well so wondered what your thoughts were.
    Last edited by ratewhore; 13 March 2008, 14:21.
    Older and ...well, just older!!

My crystal ball is a little foggy this afternoon.

Are you direct or agent? Is the contract with an agent or client? And is the confidentiality through the same?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Presumably you have mentioned that it is pointless as it is all already covered in your contract? First thought though is there is probably no harm in signing it then.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        I can't really see the point of it
        Why not just sign it? The effort will hardly be noticeable.

It would be nice to think it could be a pointer to you being outside IR35 as I assume employees don't sign a separate agreement? Whereas contractors always do (IME).

Comment

Just sign it and forget about it. I properly read my current contract for the first time in years, got into various arguments, realised the agent was clueless in all respects and I was wasting my time. Calmed down signed it and forgot about it

Comment

Check it does not conflict with the contract. Id it does then add lines to make clear which is the superior document.
            I always add lines stating that I retain all rights untill full payment has been made.

If there is no difference between the two docs then sign it.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
            X