PDA

View Full Version : Remember that house near Swindon I was looking at...

DimPrawn
13th March 2008, 14:57
was £750K. Has been onsale for at least 6 months now.

http://media.primelocation.com/HEGGR/HENS/Brochures/HENS4175B1.PDF

Now £700K.

Keep em falling!

:banana:

Boomed!

gingerjedi
13th March 2008, 15:05
I notice it has its own well, is that really necessary in a country where it rains for 300 days a year? The pool would be nice though... if the house was in Spain.:wink

PAH
13th March 2008, 15:08
I bet those on that house price crash website are finally having the time of their lives.

Just proves, you can sit and stare at anything and eventually something will always happen. Maybe that'll work with Jobserve...

MrRobin
13th March 2008, 15:10
It does rather look like it was meant for an Iberian coast, rather than the Wiltshire plains.

gingerjedi
13th March 2008, 15:14
Real contractors live in a Huf Haus.:wink

PAH
13th March 2008, 15:14
It does rather look like it was meant for an Iberian coast, rather than the Wiltshire plains.

They're just planning ahead. Michael Fish said the average UK temperature will be over 50 degrees within 20 years if global warming continues. I think he means if we're nuked.

malvolio
13th March 2008, 15:15
Yeah, I remember that one. What you can't see from the ad is that just over the hedge on the swimming pool side is the M4, just short of J16 where the rush hour starts at around 06:00 and ends around 19:00. Very peaceful - not...

BlasterBates
13th March 2008, 15:15
I bet those on that house price crash website are finally having the time of their lives.

Just proves, you can sit and stare at anything and eventually something will always happen. Maybe that'll work with Jobserve...

Indeed, jumping and down like a kids at a birthday party.

b0redom
13th March 2008, 15:19
...but the real question is, who on Earth would want to live in Swindon?

DimPrawn
13th March 2008, 15:20
Yeah, I remember that one. What you can't see from the ad is that just over the hedge on the swimming pool side is the M4, just short of J16 where the rush hour starts at around 06:00 and ends around 19:00. Very peaceful - not...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=51.560818~-1.902448&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=4343485&encType=1

DimPrawn
13th March 2008, 15:21
...but the real question is, who on Earth would want to live in Swindon?

:eyes

Back to the point. I think house prices are in freefall.

scooterscot
13th March 2008, 15:22
was £750K. Has been onsale for at least 6 months now.

http://media.primelocation.com/HEGGR/HENS/Brochures/HENS4175B1.PDF

Now £700K.

Keep em falling!

:banana:

Boomed!

I like how there trying to make out it's a millionaires pad on Gurnsey, it's Swindon! Last time I was there I got dizzy driving around town.

I'll give em 150K for it.

HRH
13th March 2008, 15:26
Am I alone in thinking the real 'story' here is the fact that there are houses worth that amount in Swindon?

Sockpuppet
13th March 2008, 15:26
Back to the point. I think house prices are in freefall.

Agreed.

All the places I am looking at have been on the market for ages. Lots of "open to offers" appearing in the windows of the estate agents as well.

Now is the time to make a killling.

DimPrawn
13th March 2008, 15:27
So you think a house 100m from the M4 in Swindon shouldn't cost 3/4 of a million pounds then?

It's almost like UK property has become absurdly overpriced......

scooterscot
13th March 2008, 15:30

Oh stop it I'm salivating

for Boggyman: salivating - secrete saliva in anticipation of food.

rootsnall
13th March 2008, 15:31
So you think a house 100m from the M4 in Swindon shouldn't cost 3/4 of a million pounds then?

It's almost like UK property has become absurdly overpriced......

I was wondering why they didn't bother concealing the power lines in the photo. I was also wondering what the planners were doing when it was built but the motorway bit explains a lot.

rootsnall
13th March 2008, 15:34

About 5 years too early if you follow the last slump. It hasn't even started yet :confused: !

HRH
13th March 2008, 15:37
Oh stop it I'm salivating

for Boggyman: salivating - secrete saliva in anticipation of food.

You eat houses?

scooterscot
13th March 2008, 15:39
You eat houses?

yeah my last purchase was in Hampshire... oh what was it called... , ! Winchester

gingerjedi
13th March 2008, 15:40
The top will fall but I can’t see average houses changing much while the demand is still there, a surge of BTL's sales might make a difference but then seasoned BTL'ers may well snap them up and stiffen up the market again, I predict a 10% fall maximum.

ferret
13th March 2008, 15:41
About 5 years too early if you follow the last slump. It hasn't even started yet :confused: !

Yup, this ain't no point to go jumping in. Hold fast young puppet, there will be bargains to be had. You will be able to get a nice flat in Manc city centre for £30k in a few years time. One with a nice kitchen extension on it too.

ferret
13th March 2008, 15:42
The top will fall but I can’t see average houses changing much while the demand is still there, a surge of BTL's sales might make a difference but then seasoned BTL'ers may well snap them up and stiffen up the market again, I predict a 10% fall maximum.

And all those who bought at the top at stupid wage multiple who will be unable to get remortgages when their fixed terms run out. All going in the pot, leading to a glut of houses on the market. Bring the noise :music:

scooterscot
13th March 2008, 15:44

To add to that I see the biggest hit are new builds. You know the type built from carboard for 100K sold to some IT contractor for 750K...

Owning a house is one thing, owning a house with history that's something else altogether, that's value that will not be lost easily.

Mailman_1
13th March 2008, 15:56

why would there be a surge of BTL properties on the market? the rental market is looking great as no-one wants to buy, rental yields are on the up and any savvy BTL landlord would hold onto the property until we came out of the period of stagnation we are seeing at the moment.

I put a 3 bed flat in Reading up to rent on Monday at the high end of the market and have had 3 offers on it this week already!

Private sellers on the other hand..........

DimPrawn
13th March 2008, 16:02
Hard working Poles are heading home to better pay and conditions
City money will dry up
Era of cheap borrowing has ended
Unemployment will rise
BTL'ers will sell up and cash in leaving a glut of property
Government will build another 70K+ houses adding to the surplus
Cost of borrowing will rise even as interest rates fall
Lending criteria will be so strict many won't even be offered a mortgage
Min deposit will rise to 25%
Cost of living will outstrip wage rises
Vast tax rises will cripple the economy

A good time to buy? I don't think so....

MrRobin
13th March 2008, 16:06
It'll be fine™

gingerjedi
13th March 2008, 16:44
why would there be a surge of BTL properties on the market? the rental market is looking great as no-one wants to buy, rental yields are on the up and any savvy BTL landlord would hold onto the property until we came out of the period of stagnation we are seeing at the moment.

I put a 3 bed flat in Reading up to rent on Monday at the high end of the market and have had 3 offers on it this week already!

Private sellers on the other hand..........

Late comers with big mortgages getting nervous... I know a few! I said the seasoned pro's would most probably calm the ship.

The market needs a bit of a drop to get people moving again, I don’t see it as such a bad thing.

DimPrawn
13th March 2008, 16:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7281608.stm

A blue Mercedes minibus in London is packed full of Polish workers poised for a journey across Europe to a new life in a distant land.

But these are not economic migrants - not now anyway.

These passengers are the casualties of mass migration, and they are going home.

More than 800,000 central and eastern Europeans have registered to work in Britain in recent years, and the unofficial figure is probably much higher.

But when temporary work dried-up, many ended up homeless and on the streets - many by now with drug or alcohol problems.

A recent survey found 18% of London's rough sleepers are now eastern and central Europeans.

Be interesting to see how rents will rise as the UK population starts declining again.

Last one out, switch the lights off. :smile