• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractors rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contractors rights

hi, i'm looking for some information on employment rights/grievances etc but from the perspective of working for a composite company. I'm not sure who i should take up the problems with, the agency i do the work for, and with whom i have the problem, or the company i'm employed by and who manage the composite companies?? Neither are being very helpful at the moment so i'm looking for guidance elsewhere. thanks

that would depend entirely on what the problem is.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by pete benson
      hi, i'm looking for some information on employment rights/grievances etc but from the perspective of working for a composite company. I'm not sure who i should take up the problems with, the agency i do the work for, and with whom i have the problem, or the company i'm employed by and who manage the composite companies?? Neither are being very helpful at the moment so i'm looking for guidance elsewhere. thanks
      You can only claim so-called "employment rights" from your employer, and then only if you have one. I doubt very much that contractually you are the employee of the agent.

Please provide more details so more focussed assistance can be given. What is the nature of the grievance?

Comment

You have no rights...just priviledges granted to you through your contract.

Mailman

Comment

No, I'd guess if you're an employee of a composite company you get normal employment rights, though these might be reduced if you're also a director/large shareholder of the company. That's the limit of my knowledge.

Oh, hello by the way,
          tl

Comment

grievance

hi again, firstly it will probably be in the nature of constructive dismissal, or just general unacceptable treatment. Depends what i can do. I am both an employee and shareholder in the composite company, but the overseeing company are blanking me about it. So far anyway. I guess if they take quite a few contractors from the agency they are hardly likely to step on them for me. thanks

Comment

hi again, firstly it will probably be in the nature of constructive dismissal, or just general unacceptable treatment. Depends what i can do. I am both an employee and shareholder in the composite company, but the overseeing company are blanking me about it. So far anyway. I guess if they take quite a few contractors from the agency they are hardly likely to step on them for me. thanks
              Still not giving much away are you.
              Your contract will give you some rights, both between you and the client and you and your employer. I assume you signed an opt out of the Behaviour of employment agencies act, if not you might have some claim for employee rights with the client and/or the agent.

Its difficult to advise on such slim detail.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Pete, firstly claims of constructive dismissal are extremely difficult to make stick, even in what appear to be cut and dried cases. Unless very large sums of money are at stake, most people don't bother. As you are being vague, all we have to go on is your description of "general unacceptable treatment". No tribunal would even give you a date for a hearing on that basis.

Secondly, and most importantly, you can only bring such claims against your employer and as that is your composite company (of which you are a joint owner) I'm guessing that is not your intention. To have any chance whatsoever, you will need to demonstrate that either the client or the agent has employment obligations towards you, and you probably don't want to do that either.

Just forget it and move on is my advice. Unless you can tell us what the exact problem and its details are, you won't get much more help here.
                Last edited by Lucifer Box; 14 July 2005, 15:06.

Comment

If you are a muslim you just need to write a solicitors letter with the word "racist" in it and you will get all the rights you want
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    If you are a muslim you just need to write a solicitors letter with the word "racist" in it and you will get all the rights you want
                    You're not speaking from bitter experience here are you, Dodgy?

Comment

Working...
                    X