• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage Tracker based on BoS base Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Tracker based on BoS base Rate

Does anyone know how the BoS base rates move in relation to BoE base rates?

Just had a tracker mortgage offer but based on BoS base rates which rings alarm bells in my head.

Cheers,

P

http://www.bankofscotland-internatio...t-mortgage.asp

It is very rare for any bank base rate to be different to bank of england base rate for more than a few hours. In fact I have never heard of a case.

Comment

I read that some of the banks have not passed BOE rate cuts down to the banks own variable rate, a few banks have done it recently I think.

Worth trying First Direct there doing very good deals at moment, they wont deal with mortgage brokers so I had to go direct but they seem contractor friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        It is very rare for any bank base rate to be different to bank of england base rate for more than a few hours.
        That's a very big assumption.

Comment

This is all very interesting.

But I would imagine given the economic climate that most banks would want to make more profit in the coming couple of years, so their rate seems easier to manipulate that the BoE rate.

BTW BrilloPad not going for a BTL mortgage.

P

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            That's a very big assumption.
            Have you ever seen a case otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              Does anyone know how the BoS base rates move in relation to BoE base rates?
              IIRC they are directly tied to the BoE.

As yet there is no provision for the devolved government (or other mechanism) to set it's own interest rates separate from the BoE.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                IIRC they are directly tied to the BoE.

As yet there is no provision for the devolved government (or other mechanism) to set it's own interest rates separate from the BoE.
                MM - are you implying that BoS is in someway tied to the Scottish parliament? BoS is a bank rather like Barclays, NatWest etcetc.

However I agree - rates will track the BoE rates - I am trying to find a case where it has differed for more than a few hours.

Comment

MM - are you implying that BoS is in someway tied to the Scottish parliament? BoS is a bank rather like Barclays, NatWest etcetc.

However I agree - rates will track the BoE rates - I am trying to find a case where it has differed for more than a few hours.
                  http://www1.icaew.co.uk/library/inde...AUB=TB2I_25315

"The base rate is the rate at which the Bank of England lends to other financial institutions and is set by the Monetary Policy Committee in response to economic conditions. The retail banks usually follow this lead, although they have the freedom not to."

Though I just had a look at this :-

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mfsd/...=41&G0Xtop.y=8

It compares BoE rate against average of 4 largest retail banks.

Last time there was a difference was 2000 - since May 1997 there have only been 5 days when different.

Comment

No, that mechanism doesn't exist yet. If the Scottish Nationalists get their way then the BoS is the most likely bank to be nationalised as their "central bank" since they already have the right to print their own money and the mechanisms to do so. It's only then that they would be able to separate from the BoE and decide their own rates (if the scots parliament allows them to).

You're right that BoS have to abide by the same rules as everybody else.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X