• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Death of the pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death of the pub

My breakfast place has papers of a morning, so while I wait for my toast and coffe I get the pleasure of reading the mirror, and came across this gem of an article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...9520-20350713/

DEATH OF THE PUB
    Will the 'boozers are losers' Budget finally kill a great British institution?
    By Bob Roberts 14/03/2008
    Related Articles

More Top Stories
    Have your say on What are you talking about? in our Forums
    News pictures

The death knell for the traditional British pub tolled over Westminster this week. Blah blah blah blah.

OMFG, the worlds going to end!
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

This is our land. A land of peace and of plenty. A land of harmony and hope. This is our land. Oceania. These are our people. The workers, the strivers, the builders. These are our people. The builders of our world, struggling, fighting, bleeding, dying. On the streets of our cities and on the far-flung battlefields. Fighting against the mutilation of our hopes and dreams. Who are they?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      This is our land. Oceania.
      No, Oceania are our lands.

Tsk! Bloody Poms, still think they have an Empire...

(and yes, I get the Orwell reference)

Comment

The doctors, who warn of our alcohol problems while applying for extended licensing hours at the bar of the British Medical Association's HQ, cheered.
        I think those doctors need to take a trip to a Scandinavian country for a weekend.

Making alcohol more expensive won't stop binge drinking in fact from my experience it seems to make it worse.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

'Norman Pearce, 61, is landlord of the Sun Inn, Corfton, near Ludlow, Shropshire. He says...

"I've been running the pub for 22 years and I've seen customer numbers steadily decline.

We're a rural pub and have had to diversify to survive.
          '

just like the rest of us

welcome to the real world

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I think those doctors need to take a trip to a Scandinavian country for a weekend.

Making alcohol more expensive won't stop binge drinking in fact from my experience it seems to make it worse.
            Doctors - usually come second in stats. of alcohol abuse by profession, beaten only by workers in the licensed trade. Most of them know a bit about binge drinking without needing to travel.
            If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Let's get a little bit of perspective here.

4p on a pint. = 40p on your average binge = every 8 binges you can only afford 9 pints instead of 10.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                DEATH OF THE PUB
                Will the 'boozers are losers' Budget finally kill a great British institution?
                The smoking ban is killing traditional boozers. Most pub regulars are smokers (in my experience) and they are staying away now, drinking elsewhere, where they can smoke.

Price will never stop people drinking alcohol. It's a drug, the cost of a drug is never an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                  The smoking ban is killing traditional boozers ..
                  Spot on, no question about that.

and as more and more people get into the habit of buying tinnies in supermarkets more often (which is much cheaper anyway) and swigging them at home instead of propping up a bar, the more alcoholics there will be and domestic strife and more unemployed pub owners. Well done, Labour, another triumph of common sense over dogma!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    This is our land...
                    Except they had Soma and Victory Gin was cheap.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Completely agree. Physical or financial prohibition drives the consumer towards alcohol. Forbidden fruit is much more exciting.

Making more of the embarrassing effects of alcohol and reversing the 'fashion' around irresponsible drinking is the best way forward. Hammer the message home until it sticks. Credit goes to Goebbels for that idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X