• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period

In my current gig I have the following

Notice Period : Immediate notice within first 5 days, 5 days thereafter.

Now I know that I shouldn't have a notice period, but is the 5 days week days, or just 5 days noticed ?

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

Now I know that I shouldn't have a notice period, but is the 5 days week days, or just 5 days noticed ?
    If in doubt presume it's 5 days not 5 working days.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

just realised that I should have posted this in the Business/Contracts

Comment

Why should you not have a notice period? Don't believe the tosh spouted about effect on IR35. I insist on the equal notice periods - it's only fair after all and makes it easier should you decide to leave earlier.

Comment

just realised that I should have posted this in the Business/Contracts
          They all count, regardless

And I would assume 5 days, rather than 5 working days.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            Don't believe the tosh spouted about effect on IR35.
            Why?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              Why should you not have a notice period? Don't believe the tosh spouted about effect on IR35. I insist on the equal notice periods - it's only fair after all and makes it easier should you decide to leave earlier.
              Employees have Notice Periods and cannot be termitated without due process. Contractors don't, and can be terminated immediately if the client so desires. Does that demonstrate the effect on IR35 status clearly enough?

It's not tosh, it's informed expert opinion. Those who have been working with IR35 for the last 9 years aren't just making things up to frighten the kiddies.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Employees have Notice Periods and cannot be termitated without due process. Contractors don't, and can be terminated immediately if the client so desires. Does that demonstrate the effect on IR35 status clearly enough?

It's not tosh, it's informed expert opinion. Those who have been working with IR35 for the last 9 years aren't just making things up to frighten the kiddies.
                Should I try and push for the 5 days to be removed ?

Comment

Should I try and push for the 5 days to be removed ?
                  If you don't want it there, then ask for it to be removed. I wouldn't push too hard, though, if the EB / client don't want to take it out.

Some would argue that it's not a notice period, it's a penalty clause for early termination.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    I had my contract reviewed by B&C and they cleared a 7 day notice period. They even cleared it when the client asked for this be increased to 28 days for each party on the 3rd extension of the gig. By cleared I mean IR35 safe. I understood B&C were considered among the experts in this field.

Comment

Working...
                    X