• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More powers for the Revenue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More powers for the Revenue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7293850.stm

Up until now, for VAT and PAYE matters, the Revenue had inspection powers with no rights of appeal.

But this was not the case for other taxes.

Previously the Revenue had to open a formal tax enquiry before asking you for additional information.

This has all changed and a lot of the red tape surrounding their ability to do this has gone.

What is clear is that the Revenue will now be able to directly penalise those who assist tax evaders by providing false or misleading information.

It will enable the Revenue to require taxpayers to provide supplementary information in relation to any documents which they consider relevant to establishing the correct tax position.

The new powers will also give tax inspectors the right to require third parties to provide information, rather than simply the taxpayer himself.

The Revenue will now be able to directly penalise those who assist tax evaders by providing false or misleading information

The new powers contain an extension whereby if the Revenue can establish that a tax return is incorrect because a third party has either withheld, or provided false information to the tax payer, that third party will be directly charged a penalty by the Revenue.

Work or home?

A further new power will be introduced whereby the Revenue can visit business premises and inspect records, assets and indeed the premises themselves.

This will present an interesting scenario where taxpayers have claimed for the use of a room at home as an office.

It would appear that under the new legislation the Revenue will have an absolute right to visit the private home on the grounds that at least part of it constitutes "business premises"!

Comment

Phew! Thank goodness the government is helping to reduce red tape to make my life easier.

It's only fair that they can just storm in anywhere these days...
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Inspectors will be allowed to make lightning visits to taxpayers' homes, under powers due to come into force next year.

Under the extraordinary new rules, they will be able to turn up unannounced and demand to see tax records.

They will not just target big business but could hit any taxpayer if they suspect money is owed, whatever the amount.

Got to love New Labour.

Comment

maybe someone should start a petition?

but then most of those here would whine about the effort in signing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            maybe someone should start a petition?

but then most of those here would whine about the effort in signing.
            Don't make the button too far from my mouse pointer then.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Don't make the button too far from my mouse pointer then.
              Would you like me to pop round and move your arm for you then?

Comment

call at mine on the way past?
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Yes please, and if you can make it first thing before I'm out of bed you can pop a lit fag in my mouth and push my chest up and down.

On second thoughts, that might not be such a good idea as I don't wear jimjams in bed

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Work or home?

A further new power will be introduced whereby the Revenue can visit business premises and inspect records, assets and indeed the premises themselves.

This will present an interesting scenario where taxpayers have claimed for the use of a room at home as an office.

It would appear that under the new legislation the Revenue will have an absolute right to visit the private home on the grounds that at least part of it constitutes "business premises"!

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when nucastle is trying to explain away his picture frames and wallpaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X