• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

T5 - all that chat???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T5 - all that chat???

So all the talk so far as been about people leaving the country (understandable I guess after that abortion that passes for a budget! ), however what I want to know is what improvements will there be for those coming the other way?

Last month I flew in to JFK and spent all of 5 minutes trying to get through customs...yet on my return to Heathrow, 2 fecken hours were spent waiting for some gimp to rubber stamp my passport!

So, anyone reckon BAA and BA will do anything to resolve that abortion called customs on your way back in to the country?

Mailman

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    So all the talk so far as been about people leaving the country (understandable I guess after that abortion that passes for a budget! ), however what I want to know is what improvements will there be for those coming the other way?

Last month I flew in to JFK and spent all of 5 minutes trying to get through customs...yet on my return to Heathrow, 2 flipen hours were spent waiting for some gimp to rubber stamp my passport!

So, anyone reckon BAA and BA will do anything to resolve that abortion called customs on your way back in to the country?

Mailman
    Sounds like you mean Immigration, not Customs.

AFAIK the airport operator pays for Immigration controls, out of the airport "taxes" that the airlines pay them, ultimately from the passenger. This is how airlines can offer faster processing to Business and First Class ticket holders: they pay the airport more and the airport pays the Home Office for more immigration officers on these tracks.

So the answer is, break up BAA and start getting a bit of competition. But competition on quality and value, not on low price.

Or, fly business class and/or use better airports. Or sign up for iris recognition.
    Last edited by expat; 14 March 2008, 11:35.

Comment

1) Use the iris scanner to avoid queues at immigration
      2) Don't bring dodgy stuff back, thereby requiring you to spend 2 hours at customs.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post

Last month I flew in to JFK and spent all of 5 minutes trying to get through customs...yet on my return to Heathrow, 2 flipen hours were spent waiting for some gimp to rubber stamp my passport!

Mailman
        Are you American?

Try doing the same as a Brit and see what the wait times are.

tim

Comment

I was flying Business BUT the business queue had closed at 8pm ffs!!!

Also, the poms in he EU queue didnt do all that well either as they too were in a mother of all queues.

Mailman

Comment

Sorry, thought this was a thread for like minded saddoes to exchange hot gossip on T5.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
              Sorry, thought this was a thread for like minded saddoes to exchange hot gossip on T5.
              Wrong login again, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Wrong login again, eh?
                I've never made any secret about being a saddo.

Comment

Um...as contactors we can elect to fly either on our own chartered flight or with a shared chartered flight ?

What's the matter with you ? .....
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    Um...as contactors we can elect to fly either on our own chartered flight or with a shared chartered flight ?
                    Can contractors do that too?

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X