• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday 17th March: Black monday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday 17th March: Black monday?

Welcome to the Doomfest.

It's only Sunday night and:

the pound is falling like a tank in the far east
    gold is up through the roof
    US Federal Reserve has cut interest rates to 3.25%.

So is today the big day? Please share your joy by contributing to the poll.
    It's the end of the world - worse than 1929
    33.33%
    It's sort of serious but most people will be OK
    37.04%
    I'm not worried and nor should you
    7.41%
    Calm down dear
    7.41%
    AndyW is Chairman of the Fed
    14.81%

The poll is expired.

It feels a bit like that moment in Titanic when Jack Dawson & Rose are perched on the stern rails, hearing the ship groaning and wondering what happens next ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As long as my BTL goes up it's okay.

Bagpuss.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        It feels a bit like that moment in Titanic when Jack Dawson & Rose are perched on the stern rails, hearing the ship groaning and wondering what happens next ...
        I surprised you got that far, I fell asleep at the end of the opening credits.

Anyway, they should have taken a leaf out of Alistair Darlings/Ben Bernankes book and rearranged the deck chairs.

Comment

In a hundred years we'll all be dead and none of it will matter.

That attitude has got me through every recession since the 1980s, and I see no reason to change my ways.

YMMV. Ho hum

Comment

The big question is can the debt bubble be deflated rather than burst?

This seems, so far, alot better handled than after black Monday(1987).

Personally I am going to concentrate on reducing debt - but then I always have.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              This seems, so far, alot better handled than after black Monday(1987).
              It's far too early to be deciding that yet.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It's different this time ™

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  It's far too early to be deciding that yet.
                  Large amounts of liquidity made available - plus large rate cuts in the states. What more do you want?

Comment

Maybe this is what the world needs, let things be reset and strat from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                    X