• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At 40+ you are pretty much unemployable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 40+ you are pretty much unemployable

This statement was posted in response to one of my threads.

Would like to get feedback on whether this is a widely held belief. Let's stick to discussing the IT Contracting sector and not Mc D or B & Q type roles. (those jobs favour the over 75's )

From my 9 yrs contracting and now over 40 myself, have to say I've never noticed it. Don't often get involved in the recruiting side, but generally It's always been based on skills, experience and rate. If those are in order then the candidate has a fair shot what ever his/her age. Maybe my sector in the ERP business favours maturity, which may not be the case in a sector like web development where the coders do tend to be younger and rates lower.

Witty pole to follow?

Comment

I reckon in development in IBs at 35 one is considered old. Does not mean unemployable - but does make it harder to get jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Witty pole to follow?
        I've never met a witty pole. Only miserable ones...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          I've never met a witty pole. Only miserable ones...
          Hard workers though. Cheap too.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            Hard workers though. Cheap too.
            Aren't alot going home now?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Aren't alot going home now?
              Yes, they are now all over 40 and unemployable

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                From my 9 yrs contracting and now over 40 myself, have to say I've never noticed it. Don't often get involved in the recruiting side, but generally It's always been based on skills, experience and rate. If those are in order then the candidate has a fair shot what ever his/her age. Maybe my sector in the ERP business favours maturity, which may not be the case in a sector like web development where the coders do tend to be younger and rates lower.
                It is harder to get a permanent job. You are expected at that age to be a manager and not being able to perform any productive task but capable of talking people to death and shout things you will never understand during meetings.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Perhaps a different market in Engineering, but I'll be 51 in May and never been busier. The near future demographics (major fall in number of school leavers going forward) and the failure over the last 25 years to attract talent into Engineering are both major factors in this business.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Perhaps a different market in Engineering, but I'll be 51 in May and never been busier. The near future demographics (major fall in number of school leavers going forward) and the failure over the last 25 years to attract talent into Engineering are both major factors in this business.
                    excuses to get cheap labour from India

Comment

Working...
                    X