• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New version of SKA - v0.1.4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New version of SKA - v0.1.4

Phew, it was tough to scale the darn thing up as with so much data no code path is left untested and its rather painful to have long running process dieing without restart at the point of failure (now can do it).

A lot more URLs now (~30 mln + 7 mln links), and it should run faster thanks to additional subindexing and what not. It is now possible to search for ".NET" or "C#".

I implemented suggestion from this board about META descriptions shown for those sites that have them.

You can give it a spin here. Your comments will be much appreciated -- mind though that currently search engine runs on shared box with server and this affects speed of searching at times when server is busy archiving, to be fixed soon.

See.... you are so bad at marketing...

Never call a version as 0.X.XXX

This may look like your application still does nothing.

And I have given you all those .Net books for nothing!!!!!!

Go back to study what counts!

.net...net
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Phew, it was tough to scale the darn thing up as with so much data no code path is left untested and its rather painful to have long running process dieing without restart at the point of failure (now can do it).

A lot more URLs now (~30 mln + 7 mln links), and it should run faster thanks to additional subindexing and what not. It is now possible to search for ".NET" or "C#".

I implemented suggestion from this board about META descriptions shown for those sites that have them.

You can give it a spin here. Your comments will be much appreciated -- mind though that currently search engine runs on shared box with server and this affects speed of searching at times when server is busy archiving, to be fixed soon.
      Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        See.... you are so bad at marketing...
        This is intentional.

I ain't releasing raw crappy software under v1.0 or higher, I normally start at v0.5, but since search engine is not good enough I ain't calling it anything more than what it is.

Now, consider that Google calls like everything BETA, and it caught up, so there.

SandyDown: go do something useful in life, when you manage something more impressive than full text indexed of 350 Gb of data running searches under second (for non-loaded box) then let me know.

Comment

"I ain't releasing raw crappy software under v1.0 or higher"

That's when I tell you haven't learned anything from Micrsofot!
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

<<SandyDown: go do something useful in life, when you manage something more impressive than full text indexed of 350 Gb of data running searches under second (for non-loaded box) then let me know.>>

AtW what is the rate for doing something as impressive as full text indexed of 350 Gb of data running searches under second???

Oh I know your rate was a big faaaaat 0 !!!

AtW: go and do something useful in life, you you can manage to get a contract which pays the same rate as me, then let me know!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
              AtW: go and do something useful in life, you you can manage to get a contract which pays the same rate as me, then let me know!!!
              I will let you know. Now do me a favour and feck off if you have not got anything constructive to say.

Comment

The results for 'cisco vpn problem' are all messed up.

The first page only has about three entries and the other search result pages won't load.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver
                  The first page only has about three entries and the other search result pages won't load.
                  Its a bug -- just fixed it, thanks for finding it Oliver!
                  Last edited by AtW; 14 July 2005, 20:22.

Comment

Ir35

A subject close to everyone's hearts.

IR35 brings back a load of irrelevant stuff apart from ir35.net (on page 2) which is not working at the mo... Four pages in and cannot be arsed to go any further. All results contain 35 but not IR35, very odd.

Search for Bristol City - the place where I live and the football team I supprt. Number one position held by Millwall FC - you having a laugh?

How much we getting paid to QA then?

A one man coder taking on the mighty clusters and tech resource of Google? I have to question your sanity. Even Ask Jeeves is better than this...

Instead of using the meta tag, which is pretty much dead in the eyes of SEO and therefore many sites will not have it, why not do as Google does and serve up a chunk of text from the indexed page that has some of the terms the user is searhing for in it? Much more likely to make the results appear relevant and therefore more likely to get clicked on.
                    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Working...
                    X