• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone bought a Motorcycle through their Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone bought a Motorcycle through their Ltd?

As title. I was thinking of purchasing a new bike and putting it through the business. Anyone done this?

My accountant has put me off putting a car through as he said it would cost a fair bit..... What!? a 1.2 Fiat 500??? surely not. I've just registered for VAT and want to take advantage of it if I can.

You can't reclaim vat on new cars so I assume that you cannot on bikes.

I assume that the BIK would be treated the same as a car with a different formula.

What does the HMRC site say?

Comment

You're a contractor. Just go and buy one and stop fannying around...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
        As title. I was thinking of purchasing a new bike and putting it through the business. Anyone done this?

My accountant has put me off putting a car through as he said it would cost a fair bit..... What!? a 1.2 Fiat 500??? surely not. I've just registered for VAT and want to take advantage of it if I can.
        Only if you can persuade them that it's a van....

PS That's not taking advantage, that's taking the p*ss...

HTH
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          You're a contractor. Just go and buy one and stop fannying around...

This will be will an addition to my other two.... Believe you me I Know I'm a contractor thats why I already have two

Comment

This will be will an addition to my other two.... Believe you me I Know I'm a contractor thats why I already have two

What are they?

If you get another one then why not start a rental service?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Only if you can persuade them that it's a van....

PS That's not taking advantage, that's taking the p*ss...

HTH
              you better not be dissing my new wee Fiat pal!!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                What are they?

If you get another one then why not start a rental service?
                A Harley Roadking and a VFR 800..... the new one I want is a Ducati 848.

I suppose I could start one of those clubs where you can purchase points to ride/drive cars rather than purchase them

Comment

A Harley Roadking and a VFR 800..... the new one I want is a Ducati 848.

I suppose I could start one of those clubs where you can purchase points to ride/drive cars rather than purchase them
                  Probably not as daft as it sounds you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    You can't reclaim vat on new cars so I assume that you cannot on bikes.

I assume that the BIK would be treated the same as a car with a different formula.

What does the HMRC site say?
                    Nonsense, VAT on a bike is 100% allowable (it goes down as "plant & machinery")

Comment

Working...
                    X