• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cheap IT labor in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap IT labor in UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...17/cnit117.xml

"She added: "The IT skills shortage issue is nowhere near as acute as during the dotcom boom, so why is it that more than 10 times more foreign IT workers are entering the country now than then?"

If 38k workpermits were issued last year, then supposedly during .CON boom less than 4k of them were issued? That's total bull - a lot more of them were issued, I actually had one of them - then renewed, then moved to another work which had to apply for work permit separately - I am certain it was double counted in stats.

Anyway, people who are actually present in this country have high UK costs - fuel, food, etc, this would force their rate much higher than they would need to charge otherwise - that only main flaw in this arguement if these people are effectively kept in a swet shop environment like 4 people in one room etc. I am not convinced it is going on right now in any serious quantity - not in IT field.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      "She added: "The IT skills shortage issue is nowhere near as acute as during the dotcom boom, so why is it that more than 10 times more foreign IT workers are entering the country now than then?"

If 38k workpermits were issued last year, then supposedly during .CON boom less than 4k of them were issued? That's total bull - a lot more of them were issued, I actually had one of them - then renewed, then moved to another work which had to apply for work permit separately - I am certain it was double counted in stats.

Anyway, people who are actually present in this country have high UK costs - fuel, food, etc, this would force their rate much higher than they would need to charge otherwise - that only main flaw in this arguement if these people are effectively kept in a swet shop environment like 4 people in one room etc. I am not convinced it is going on right now in any serious quantity - not in IT field.
      argument

sweat

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        argument
        Hmm, arguement with 'e' seems much more logical...

Comment

Sneaky bastards. This is the IT equivalent of 'dumping' in the manufactured goods trade. Effectively raping our countries IT industry. Already sold our car industry et al to the Chinese and Indians. Now the tarts are letting them take our knowledge industries. Time something was done about it. We've been screwed enough

At least ATSCo are making some noise. What about the PCG. They should organise a truck load of old PC's to be dumped outside parliament to symbolise the demise of another industry.

So, what do you lot think?

Comment

i mentioned this on a previous thread, all i got was the response of a number of individuals who i suspect are actually overseas IT workers trying to defend the indifensible with rants about trucks and tractors. And why does the telegraph have a shamrock? which country is this?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
              And why does the telegraph have a shamrock? which country is this?
              St Patricks day. Knowing the date was part of my British Citizen exam. Those bloody foreigners, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                Now the tarts are letting them take our knowledge industries.
                Knowledge industry can be outsourced easier than manufacturing.

The very same guy who gets work permit visa to work here would not have the same cost base as you if that person remains in their native country, India or otherwise. This means their price would be even lower, in effect if they are here then the playing field is more level than otherwise.

What should be addressed is that money paid to these people have some minimum industry level average to prevent sweat shops from successful operation, I think right now you need to have salary of around £40k to get visa without problem.

Comment

Hmm, arguement with 'e' seems much more logical...
                  The final e is dropped when you add the suffix ment to a word. Two examples are judge + ment = judgment and acknowledge + ment = acknowledgment.

However, there are some exceptions. For example: encourage + ment = encouragement, achieve + ment = achievement, and enhance + ment = enhancement.

Exercises

1. judge + ment =

2. achieve + ment =

3. acknowledge + ment =

4. enchance + ment =

5. encourage + ment =

For more information on suffixes, check out pages 102-106 in "Scholastic Guides Checking Your Grammar" by Marvin Terban.

HTH
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Knowledge industry can be outsourced easier than manufacturing.

The very same guy who gets work permit visa to work here would not have the same cost base as you if that person remains in their native country, India or otherwise. This means their price would be even lower, in effect if they are here then the playing field is more level than otherwise.

What should be addressed is that money paid to these people have some minimum industry level average to prevent sweat shops from successful operation, I think right now you need to have salary of around £40k to get visa without problem.
                    IMO its not so much the individual visa holders that are the problem. As ATW mentioned, they already need to be earning decent money to get a visa. It is the foreign companies that can charge 25% of the amount of UK companies and still turn a decent profit. But that's globalisation folks, and a still strong UK pound...
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X