• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harry Potter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter

Whilst I've nothing against these books, indeed, encouraging children to read in the age of the Playstation is highly laudable, but the stagemanaged nature of these releases seem to generate an unnatural fervour.

One young teenager being shown on breakfast telly from the previous volumes' release, said in a temblingly ecstatic voice, while clutching the volume in question, that she was 'sooo happy' and that she'd been queueing for 8 hours!!

When I was that age I wouldn't have queued for 8 hours to see Mary Millington in 'Playbirds', let alone buy a bloody book!
    Last edited by wobbegong; 15 July 2005, 08:25.
    The vegetarian option.

What worries me, is the number of adults reading the books. Children are naturally overexcited by the latest new thing, whereas adults should know better. And they should be reading something a little more sophisticated than children's books!
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Seems to me they are just a rip off of tolkein, Lewis, with a little fantasia thrown in for good measure.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
        What worries me, is the number of adults reading the books. Children are naturally overexcited by the latest new thing, whereas adults should know better. And they should be reading something a little more sophisticated than children's books!
        One of the grumpy old men had a go at that - very amusing.

The only thing I've seen close to was in the wake of the first Lord of the Rings film, when it seemed that every other person on the tube was reading Lord of the Rings, most of them women. Perhaps they thought it was written by Orlando Bloom or something?

Comment

Well, bollocks to the lot of you!

I have my copy on order and I will be picking it up on Monday.

Finished my current book last night just in time.

Only problem is the disappointment I will feel when I have finished it.

Comment

Gues who is going to get kicked out of the house at about 11:45 tonight to get his wife a copy.....

Comment

Just ordered a copy

Just placed an order for the Braille version. I'm quite suprised that they are timing the braille version for release at the same time as the normal printed version. Usually braille books are months or years after the publication. Should keep the sprog quiet for a while. The postman is going to love it because it will be massive!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Don't mention children. Bagpuss will get the right arse.

Comment

Working...
                X