• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly train ticket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly train ticket

maybe the wrong forum but more likely to get a quicker answer plus as usual the standard sarky/obvious comments..

up until now ive always driven to the clients site, they are soon moving to city central location meaning very high parking prices rather than the usual free client car park.. as the site is 2 mins walk from the station i was considering commuting via public train (shudder), i know if i buy daily tickets i can claim all as a business expense, however, to save time queuing with the great unwashed i was considering getting a monthly rail ticket..

however, the question i have is "should i purchase 100% of the train ticket value as a business expense or should i claim 5/7 of it even though i will only use it to travel to/from work and never for personal use?"

yes ive had a quick search on the forums and cant find an answer, im sure it has been answered previously though..

yes i know as a contractor i should just hire a chauffeur and get dropped off and picked up
    or
    pay the central city parking price and drive
    or
    invest in a threaded style helicpoter and park it on the roof
    or
    ask my accountant as thats what i pay them for

but i was just looking at other alternatives and thought id ask the question and am interested to see what others do

thanks in advance

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    maybe the wrong forum but more likely to get a quicker answer plus as usual the standard sarky/obvious comments..

up until now ive always driven to the clients site, they are soon moving to city central location meaning very high parking prices rather than the usual free client car park.. as the site is 2 mins walk from the station i was considering commuting via public train (shudder), i know if i buy daily tickets i can claim all as a business expense, however, to save time queuing with the great unwashed i was considering getting a monthly rail ticket..

however, the question i have is "should i purchase 100% of the train ticket value as a business expense or should i claim 5/7 of it even though i will only use it to travel to/from work and never for personal use?"

yes ive had a quick search on the forums and cant find an answer, im sure it has been answered previously though..

yes i know as a contractor i should just hire a chauffeur and get dropped off and picked up
    or
    pay the central city parking price and drive
    or
    invest in a threaded style helicpoter and park it on the roof
    or
    ask my accountant as thats what i pay them for

but i was just looking at other alternatives and thought id ask the question and am interested to see what others do

thanks in advance

Chef
    why not cycle to work?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      why not cycle to work?
      it's 110 miles away and my calf muscles arent that well trained

Comment

It's a legit business expense right? So charge the whole ticket to the Co. Alternatively pay the ticket yourself, and charge the car mileage in lieu. Depends on what works out most profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          It's a legit business expense right?
          yep

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          So charge the whole ticket to the Co. Alternatively pay the ticket yourself, and charge the car mileage in lieu. Depends on what works out most profitable.
          that's what i was planning and thought, Thanks Turion, less than 5 posts and an actual sensible answer..

AtW or Threaded obviously haven't woken up yet

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            yep

that's what i was planning and thought, Thanks Turion, less than 5 posts and an actual sensible answer..

AtW or Threaded obviously haven't woken up yet
            I'm here, and was going to say that when in the UK the accountants claim 100% on train tickets, so travel 1st class and get your coffee and biscuits thrown in.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well if it helps confirm this, my last contract was in central london and I was using monthly train tickets, I claimed the whole ticket (and the oyster). The account said it was fine.

I like turions answer though!

Edit: 110 miles is a long way though. Driving there and back each day sounds like my old permie job. I'd be a physical wreck doing that 5 days a week now. First class ticket, iPod, PSP and a book is a much better option.
              Last edited by miffy; 18 March 2008, 08:46.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Why would you not claim 100% of your business expense?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Why would you not claim 100% of your business expense?
                  Chef's just unsure (and who the hell wouldn't be) because of our over simplified system of taxation. Doing what you think is logical isn't always how the taxman does things.

Remember... tax doesn't have to be taxing.
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                    Chef's just unsure (and who the hell wouldn't be) because of our over simplified system of taxation. Doing what you think is logical isn't always how the taxman does things.

Remember... tax doesn't have to be taxing.
                    Yes, one of the more relaxing things about business life in Denmark is that the tax rules are all written down.

Which is nice.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X