• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't help some people...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't help some people...

On my regular cycle commute there're a few nutters who just have to be in front. Not that they're fast, they're just a bit up themselves about having to be in front. For example, say I get caught by the lights, they have to push in front and then make it difficult to overtake, so everyone gets caught by the next set of lights, etc. etc..

I am so enured of this that I now recognise this set of people from their bicycles. I notice and slow down. They're not going so far and it is only an extra minute or so being forced to cycle slower, and then they're gone, so I can get back up to speed.

Anyways this morning, one of the usual suspect pushes his way through to the front of the queue at the lights. As he passes me I shout that he really ought to slow down and hold back as it is really icy. I do this knowing he won't be able to take his left turn about 200m further on. He's just not that good a cyclist. I can predict he will fall off, maybe cause a pile up, and anyways everyone will have to stop to help him.

Eh, left turn? Yes, he pushes to the front apparently just to cause everyone to slow for him so he can make his turn a little further on. What a prat! Why not wait behind: won't cost him anything and will save the irritation he causes to other cyclists in making them brake hard.

Anyways, your hero has his helmet camera on and running! So a little devil grabs me: Film it! Film it!

So I sits right behind him, ready for him to fall, ready to take evasive action, maybe take a roll over the top. The prospect of the coming excitement makes my mouth go dry.

We approach where he makes his turn, he's going too fast, he grabs fist fulls of brake and whap, over he goes, I've already worked out where he's going to fall, and which way he'll slide, so not much evasive action to go round as I've already chosen my line. I slow to a trackstand and look back to check he's ok. Yeah, he's ok, he's f-ing and blinding that it was my fault!

No good deed goes unpunished: I tried to warn the sucker and what do you get? You just can't help some people!

Hopefully the video has captured it all, and if so, a link will be posted later.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      On my regular cycle commute there're a few nutters who just have to be in front. Not that they're fast, they're just a bit up themselves about having to be in front. For example, say I get caught by the lights, they have to push in front and then make it difficult to overtake, so everyone gets caught by the next set of lights, etc. etc..
      You stop for traffic lights?

Just kidding - good story, looking forward to the link

I know the type of 'road warrior' you're referring to, it's always someone else's fault.

I had a run in with one in the car when I had to take an unexpected left turn (other half was doing the directions).

I could see him in my wing mirror so I knew he was there - when she suddenly said 'left now!' I instinctively moved to the left but as I knew the road warrior was there I stopped to let him pass.

His reaction was to stop as well and start f'ing and blinding and wailing at me as though I'd run over his foot. I had 2 choices - stop for him or cut him up and possibly knock him off.

I chose to stop and let him go which according to him deemed me as a very bad human being...

Of course he'll be in the right when he mows me down at a pedestrian crossing..
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Comment

This reminds me of that thread we had about people pushing you put of the way in London. Yesterday this woman elbowed me and quite a few others out of the way as we emerged from London Hell Station - it transpired the big rush was so she could nip into the nearest phone box and light a fag. That done she dawdled on happily.

Comment

I'm prepared for the onslaught after what I'm about to say.... and people bare in mind I have a push bike to.

I'll only ever give these people the time of day on the road when they start paying Tax and insurance like the rest of us until then their fair game i'm afraid.... Cut me up at the lights at the junction you better be able to pedal fast cos when the lights turn green I WILL!! cut you up and I'm happy to lose a wing mirror doing it

there that should get this thread flying me thinks

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
              I'm prepared for the onslaught after what I'm about to say.... and people bare in mind I have a push bike to.

I'll only ever give these people the time of day on the road when they start paying Tax and insurance like the rest of us until then their fair game i'm afraid.... Cut me up at the lights at the junction you better be able to pedal fast cos when the lights turn green I WILL!! cut you up and I'm happy to lose a wing mirror doing it

Hear Hear!
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post

have you ever noticed what a nice sound a cleat makes along the side of a car?
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I love the sound of a D lock on a metal roof. Makes me go dewey eyed it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                    I love the sound of a D lock on a metal roof. Makes me go dewey eyed it does.
                    Its a soft Top

and I run a banger to work so you couldn't make it any worse

Anyway you'll have competition soon when the motorbikes are allowed in your lanes.... Oh and I've get a couple of those as well

Comment

Working...
                    X