• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hurrah: PITO to disband?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurrah: PITO to disband?

I'm posting this as PITO employs many contractors.

Article

Pito faces two years of uncertainty
    by Lindsay Clark

Tuesday 12 July 2005

The Police IT Organisation could have to wait another two years before its future becomes clear.

The organisation, which is charged with steering national police IT systems and strategy, was slammed in an independent Home Office report last month.

The Report of the Review of Pito said the organisation should be scrapped. "The present structure and organisation of police ICT lacks clear definition or purpose, results in confused lines of responsibility and is almost certainly poor value for money," it said.

The report recommended transferring Pito's responsibilities to the National Police Improvement Agency (NPIA), an organisation whose constitution and remit is still under discussion.

By 2007 a national police IT group within the NPIA would take on key areas of Pito's work. The changes are needed as local forces do not accept Pito's direction, the report said.

"The NPIA proposals and the proposals in this report have come at a time when the organisation and the people within it have already experienced a lengthy period of uncertainty. Yet the proposals are likely to require legislation to bring them into effect, leading to a degree of uncertainty for at least another two years," it said.

Eric Woods, programme director at analyst firm Ovum, said the period of uncertainty over Pito's future could make it difficult for the organisation to move forward on projects.

"It is important for Pito's management to maintain momentum and make sure it does not become held in stasis for two years. That is going to be key to morale."

A spokesman for the Home Office said Pito would continue with its on-going projects and the Home Office would be keeping Pito "closely informed" about developments.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

PITO Outmoded

I like the fact that they still use BS2000 from Siemens who are dropping it. (BS2000 was basically the German answer to IBM mainframe operating systems.)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I had one contract with PITO...walked out early. The organisation is a total shambles, and most of the contractors complete w@nkers (apart from Dave - if you're reading!).
      Everything they touched turned to cr@p, and after two months the PM still couldn't remember my name, despite the fact that I sat next to the dopey cow.
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

does any of that matter as long as they paid you a good rate, on time?

Frankly, I can't believe the whingeing on this board about boring work, crap PM, etc. Is this a contractors board or a whingeing career-building permies forum?

Jez.......
        Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
          does any of that matter as long as they paid you a good rate, on time?
          That, in a nutshell, is why NZ is not a world leader in IT.

Comment

and the UK is!? (now where's that laughing-his-head-off smiley? Shaun?)
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

and the UK is!? (now where's that laughing-his-head-off smiley? Shaun?)
              Apparently so

I did enter a table here that shows UK 2nd, but its format fell apart after submitting it.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

dunno what your criteria is. From what I have seen, NZ is way ahead of the UK in terms of good use of IT technologies
                Might explain why Antipodean contractors are so much in demand round here!
                Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Denmark on top must be solely due to threaded.
                  Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Apparently so

I did enter a table here that shows UK 2nd, but its format fell apart after submitting it.
                  Yes, I don't think we made any claims about bulletin board design.

Comment

Might explain why Antipodean contractors are so much in demand round here!
                    Are they?

Comment

Working...
                    X