• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90

Linky Here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7304004.stm

What with the death of Gary Gygax on March 4th, and now Arthur C Clarke on March 19th, it seems the Ides of March have got it in for the Geek Community.

I would suggest the board close for the rest of the month for 2 reasons.

1) In memory of the 2 influential men above
    2) So all the geeks on the board can go in to hiding until March is over.

Ah well, nn all.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

The loss of another great mind.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Ah well.

At least the little Sri-Lankan Servant Boys are safe now.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Ah well.

At least the little Sri-Lankan Servant Boys are safe now.
        At 90 I think they must have been pretty safe anyway
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

What a bummer. (and I mean the situation, Churchill!) Now Clarke will miss the film of his book "Rendezvous with Rama". Filming is apparently complete, but there's still a shed load of special effects to edit and the film isn't due out until early next year. Should be a real cracker, unless the Yanks completely cock it up and sentimentalize the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            What a bummer. (and I mean the situation, Churchill!) Now Clarke will miss the film of his book "Rendezvous with Rama". Filming is apparently complete, but there's still a shed load of special effects to edit and the film isn't due out until early next year. Should be a real cracker, unless the Yanks completely cock it up and sentimentalize the whole thing.

I didn't think the book was all that good, but then it's been years since I read it.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
              I didn't think the book was all that good, but then it's been years since I read it.
              It does leave a lot "up in the air", which some people may find dissatisfying. For example, you never meet any aliens (not the ones who built the ship anyway). But then the whole thing is _meant_ to be mysterious and unfathomable, which is probably how something like that would be in real life.

The sequels ("Return to Rama" I think one was called ?) wasn't as good, but then if memory serves Clarke co-authored those with Lee Gentry, which IMHO tended to make the plots turn to mush (although whether it's fair to blame Gentry for that, and not Clarke's advancing years or just having two authors, is hard to say).

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                It does leave a lot "up in the air", which some people may find dissatisfying. For example, you never meet any aliens (not the ones who built the ship anyway). But then the whole thing is _meant_ to be mysterious and unfathomable, which is probably how something like that would be in real life.

The sequels ("Return to Rama" I think one was called ?) wasn't as good, but then if memory serves Clarke co-authored those with Lee Gentry, which IMHO tended to make the plots turn to mush (although whether it's fair to blame Gentry for that, and not Clarke's advancing years or just having two authors, is hard to say).
                The last one is called “Rama revealed”. It’s been on my bookshelf for about 6 years now, I enjoyed rendezvous a lot but found the second one quite hard work. I had a lot of respect for him until the more unsavoury aspects of his sexual preferences came out.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Who is Rama ? Was he one of the servant boys too ?

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Who is Rama ? Was he one of the servant boys too ?
                    Enjoyable books imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X