• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US dollar mortgage on UK property?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US dollar mortgage on UK property?

Why would you not do this for the short term, assuming you could find a lender and a % of your income was in dollars?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Why would you not do this for the short term, assuming you could find a lender and a % of your income was in dollars?
    We've had this before when the yen was at zero interest for some time.

Do a search for "yen carry trade" you'll find all of the arguments for and (mostly) against.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      What US lender in this credit crunch is going to lend on a property in the UK?

Even if they did, the exchange rate can move against you meaning suddenly your debt has just got a lot bigger.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        What US lender in this credit crunch is going to lend on a property in the UK?

Even if they did, the exchange rate can move against you meaning suddenly your debt has just got a lot bigger.

HTH
        No, no, no, no. The banks like mortgage risk over in the US at the moment. Really.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I remember when I were a lad in the 80's something in the news about County Councils which had borrowed money in foreign currencies because of this kind of shall we say economic opportunity and later exchange rates and interest rates had turned against them and they were fooked

anyone else remember this ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Yes.

Wasn't it the Orkneys?
            Thought they had trouble because their money was with BCCI, not because they themselves had decided to speculate?

Comment

Are you thinking of Councils getting involved in interest rate swaps? That was in the 90’s. It didn’t end well.

Edit: Yes, many councils had exposure to BCCI. That didn't end well either.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

A lot of farmers went under in Oz a few years back after being encouraged to take out foreign currency loans by the Oz banks.

I've looked into it a few times at different times and the companies offering it to normal (mug !?) punters want to take a large share of anything you may gain by doing it but obviously have nothing to do with any losses. Avoid like the plague unless you are using somebody elses money as with most hedge funds and investment banks borrowing in Jap yen.

Comment

Working...
                X