• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BoE demands probe as rumours hit UK banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Philip Aldrick, Banking Editor
    Last Updated: 12:28pm GMT 19/03/2008

The Bank of England has demanded the Financial Services Authority investigate inaccurate rumours sweeping the market that a British lender is in crisis after being forced to issue a vehement denial that it has been called into emergency meetings.

Sources said the Bank was livid with what it believes are short sellers attempting to turn a profit by spreading false stories about distressed lenders that could undermine the stability of Britain's financial system in these fragile markets. (AtW's comment: and sadguru's is nowhere to be seen on here today...)

A Bank spokesman said: "No meeting has taken place or been scheduled with any financial institution in the UK."

It added that it made no loans through its standing facility yesterday.

HBOS appeared to be the main target of this morning's speculation. Its shares tumbled up to 11pc on rumours that it had applied for emergency central bank funding despite a clear denial.

An HBOS spokesman said: "There is not a shred of substance whatsoever in these unfounded and malicious rumours. This is a classic case of a lie being half way round the world before truth has its boots on. It is deeply concerning these rumours are circulating the markets.

"HBOS is one of the strongest financial institutions in the world with a balance sheet of £660bn the group has also had the largest deposit base in the UK. We are one of the most respected names in the wholesale and capital markets. HBOS is a very strong financial institution."
    advertisement

The rumours have been fuelled by the dramatic actions of the US Federal Reserve's dramatic actions over the past few days, both orchestrating the cut-price sale and rescue of Bear Stearns and cutting interest rates by three quarters of a percentage point. Britain's central Bank also took the unusual step of quashing a number of other rumours.

A spokesman said: "It's a fantasy that all leave for Bank staff has been cancelled over Easter. There is also talk going round that the Governor has had to cancel a trip to the Far East. There was no trip, that's complete fantasy."

Mervyn King, the Bank's governor, did cancel a trip to the west Midlands scheduled for Monday and Tuesday and his deputies Sir John Gieve and Rachel Lomax have also cancelled follow-up trips due today and tomorrow.

"These trips were cancelled so that they could be in London to monitor conditions in the wake of Bear Stearns," the spokesman said. Britain's banks all suffered large fshare price falls in morning trading on the rumours.

The FSA last year said it would be paying close attention to all hedge fund or short-selling practices in the current extreme conditions to keep an eye out for market abuse. Well-placed insiders said the Bank has requested the FSA step up its attempts to crack down on the sources of the latest rumuors. The Bank declined to comment.

---------------

It's those speculant types that should be digging Uranium ore right now

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    An HBOS spokesman said: "There is not a shred of substance whatsoever in these unfounded and malicious rumours. This is a classic case of a lie being half way round the world before truth has its boots on. It is deeply concerning these rumours are circulating the markets.

Poor ol' Truth, slow putting his boots on again. Tsk...
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

the Bank was livid with what it believes are short sellers attempting to turn a profit by spreading false stories about distressed lenders that could undermine the stability of Britain's financial system in these fragile markets.
      So placing a spreadbet is illegal and wrong now is it.

FFS.

Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        No

Manipulating the market by spreading false rumours is very wrong. And illegal.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          No

Manipulating the market by spreading false rumours is very wrong. And illegal.
          Pump'n'dump ...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Yes, it is wrong and should be illegal, and here is why:

1) such activity does not contribute to human kind - go learn how to cute cancer or somethng like this instead
            2) such activity is based on high degree of leverage - this can turn the earth around, nevermind financial markets
            3) spreading knowingly incorrect information with the aim to enrich oneself from the misery of others falsely accused of something that is not true is certainly illegal - if this causes damages then I am sure any court would award them.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Pump'n'dump ...
              What's the opposite of a pump'n'dump?
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

N..ks...

Comment

Marriage.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Marriage.

On a serious note - it would be interesting to see who the winners are from this.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X