• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The alternative to 'fairtrade'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The alternative to 'fairtrade'

www.kiva.org

Go here, provide microcredit, it will make you feel good, I promise

No governments, no aid agencies making money out of it, and it's not aid, it's a loan to people with hope.
    Last edited by Lucy; 19 March 2008, 23:11.

So! how do I go about applying for one of these loans?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      So! how do I go about applying for one of these loans?
      Seconded, I need a loan to buy new Mecredes...sorry cow.
      Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

How do you know they are not scammers ?

Comment

Yes sounds great I get out my wallet right now if I thought it was going straight to those that need it, but what's the proof?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I like the fact that basically Kiva will be taking a cut of the repayments and giving you back your money 1-for-1.

So they are using you as a form of free credit.

Nice.

Comment

"The alternative to 'fairtrade'"

I read that thinking the opposite of fair trade. I was expecting a site promoting the use of child labour and tiny tiny wages.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

No, it's not an alternative to fairtrade at all.

Fairtrade sells you something, the profits from which are shared with the producers to help lift them out of poverty.

Kiva is an interest free loan that you are providing to the third world, to help lift them out of poverty. You can get your money back later though, but you get nothing from it.

Kiva is an alternative to SharedInterest that charges 21% to the third world but returns 0% to you. The difference is that SharedInterest can pay you interest on your investment too.

Neither Kiva nor SharedInterest are alternatives to Fairtrade.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  I like the fact that basically Kiva will be taking a cut of the repayments and giving you back your money 1-for-1.

So they are using you as a form of free credit.

Nice.
                  It's called charity.

HTH
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Kiva is an interest free loan that you are providing to the third world,
                    developing world
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X