• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Beeb blowing their own trumpet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beeb blowing their own trumpet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7303288.stm

'Beeb' creators reunite at museum
    By Darren Waters
    Technology editor, BBC News website

The BBC created a series of educational computing programmes
    The creators of the BBC Micro are reuniting at the Science Museum in London to discuss the legacy of the computer known fondly as "the Beeb".
    Hermann Hauser and Steve Furber, who worked at Acorn, will be joined by former BBC staff John Radcliffe and David Allen.

The reunion has been organised by the Computer Conservation Society.

Dr Tilly Blyth, who is writing a book about the machine said: "The Beeb helped shape today's IT landscape."

The Beeb was released in 1982 after the BBC had initiated a nationwide computer literacy programme.

The corporation agreed to "sponsor" Acorn's computer following a hunt to find a machine which could help educate parents and children.

I believe the history of the BBC Micro is really a fundamental one to understanding where we are today

Dr Tilly Blyth

"The story of the BBC Micro is one of British innovation; it's about how one machine inspired a generation of youngsters to use computers," said Dr Blyth.

"It created some of the industries we are strong in today - the new media industry, the computer games industry."

Dr Blyth said the BBC Micro, together with machines like the Sinclair Spectrum, overturned people's preconceptions of computers.

The BBC Micro was at the heart of an ambitious programme of education, backed up with TV programmes, lessons in schools and a nationwide network of teachers and educators who learned to use the machine.

'Very confident'

"It's of an era, when the BBC was very strong, very confident, had the backing of the DTI (Department for Trade and Industry) to launch into this and effectively sponsor a piece of hardware.

The BBC Micro was the desirable gadget of its day

Elite co-creator David Braben remembers the BBC Micro

Read David Braben's column

Acorn had been working on various computers at the time, and had already launched the Atom prior to the BBC Micro, which was originally called the Proton.

"Acorn and the BBC were very surprised at the impact it had and the interest in it as a piece of hardware," said Dr Blyth, curator of computing and information at the Science Museum.

More than 1.5 million BBC computers were eventually sold; the BBC and Acorn had predicted they would sell 12,000.

"It was a very ambitious project. At the heart of it was education and bettering Britain; and helping us to understand what the computer could do and what you could with a computer."

'Socially acceptable'

She added: "I believe the history of the BBC Micro is really a fundamental one to understanding where we are today and explaining the British computer industry and our culture of computing that we have today.

"It became socially acceptable to have a computer in the home; it wasn't seen as a force of evil. it was seen as something to better yourself with and educate yourself.

BBC MICRO

Released in late 1981
    8 bit microprocessor
    6502 CPU at 2 MHz
    640*256 screen resolution
    Cost £375 at launch
    1.5 million sold

"It was more than just a piece of hardware; there were social implications and cultural changes."

One of the greatest legacies of the BBC Micro is the Arm microprocessor.

"Acorn were working on the Arm chip as a result of the BBC Micro and BBC Master project. It's a wonderful British success story; Arm chips are in practically every small mobile device that are in the world today.

"It's a massive legacy And culturally - our strength in computer games was underpinned by the BBC; a generation was inspired to take that career path."

A number of websites are dedicated to the BBC Micro and software emulators offer the chance to run old BBC software, but there is a legal issue over the use of the ROMs which underpin the system and any software used on the emulators.

The operating system technology, the ROMs, is now owned by British company Castle.

Jack Lillingston, managing director of Castle, said he did not condone the free use of the ROMs to run the emulator.

"There are legal obligations that need to be adhered to," he said.

But Castle is in the process of making the Risc OS, the operating system which grew out of the work of the BBC Micro, open source and available to all.

The Science Museum plans an exhibition about the BBC Micro and its legacy in 2009.

================================================== ====

So what do you lot think of the BBC Micro. I know that it had sod all games and that the only people who bought them were schools. My mates had a Spectrum or a C64 or a Vic 20 if they were poor - I even know somebody who had a Dragon 32 but I don't know anybody who had a BBC Micro. From what I can remeber of it, it was too expensive.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

I had a Dragon 32
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

It was overpriced and underpowered. Schools bought them either because there were brown envelopes involved or because you couldnt play any games with filled polygons. Rich kids had them and they were left idle as everone was playing Jet Pac etc... on the ZX.

Comment

I had a BBC Model B. Elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          I had a Dragon 32
          Me too. Then a Dragon 64 running OS9 loved it.

When I made a few quid selling games I'd written I bought a BBC micro. Then a Torch - Now that was a sweet machine!

Although the best home micro I developed software for was the Atari 130xe - I've still got the Gold(painted, not plated) one that Ocean Software gave me as a pressy. God bless you Gary Bracey!!! (He was worse than most agents!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
            I had a BBC Model B. Elite.
            But that and that cr@p platform game with the bird and the eggs was the only game you could get on the thing.

To read the article you would think that we should all pay homage to the BBC for sponsoring the machine because without it there would be no IT in the UK. I think the fact that schools went down the BBC route and that Archimedes thing caused more harm than good. When schools were teaching kids with an Archimedes, other countries were using PC's i.e. what was being used in the real world.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Me too. Then a Dragon 64 running OS9 loved it.

When I made a few quid selling games I'd written I bought a BBC micro. Then a Torch - Now that was a sweet machine!

Although the best home micro I developed software for was the Atari 130xe - I've still got the Gold(painted, not plated) one that Ocean Software gave me as a pressy. God bless you Gary Bracey!!! (He was worse than most agents!!!)
              I went on to the 64, mainly because of the RS interface.
              I actually liked using the ms basic

Sorry IGMC
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                But that and that cr@p platform game with the bird and the eggs was the only game you could get on the thing.
                Elite and Chuckie Egg were more than enough to keep me entertained. I was only 10

Comment

I got paid work programming the BBC Micro back in the 80's

Thames Water used them for data acquisition monitoring water quality and controlling treatment equipment across the whole site.

I wrote the data capture interface code (assembler and BBC Basic) and also a graphical front end library (widgets for dials, graphs and displays).

What halcyon days....

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
                    Elite and Chuckie Egg were more than enough to keep me entertained. I was only 10
                    I was about double 10 - Defender was the game for me. Elite was too complicated and Chuckie too cute!

And like most computers of the time, you could switch it on and it was ready for use straight away!

Comment

Working...
                    X