• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trade accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade accounts

Forgive me if this is a stupid question!!

As a limited company does anyone know if there are any implications on setting up a trade account with Topps Tiles and buying my wooden floor from them though the company?

1. Do I get any Tax relief?
    2. Will the tax man shoot me for any reason?
    3. Apart from the 25% discount on the trade account would it work out any cheaper than buying it as a 'normal person'?

Thanks for any replies.

Jonny Moron

You company is an separate legal entity to you. What is your company going to do with a wooden floor?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      You company is an separate legal entity to you. What is your company going to do with a wooden floor?
      Sell it to Johnny at a small profit?

If you're a company trading in IT consultancy, is there anything stopping you from buying & selling goods?

Also, I expect there's nothing in your agreement with Topps Tiles that prevents you from paying with a personal card - the transaction therefore never has to go across the company books.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

open the trade account in your co.'s name but pay in cash from your own pocket. That way you get the 25% discount but there is nothing going through your business account.

Comment

If your wooden floor is wholly and exclusively for business use then you should be OK...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            Put the filing cabinet on it!

Honestly. Wooden floor through the limited, whatever next.
            Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
              open the trade account in your co.'s name but pay in cash from your own pocket. That way you get the 25% discount but there is nothing going through your business account.
              Ditto.

I'm currently upgrading central heating and kitting out 2 new bathrooms at home, so I setup a trade account in the ltdco name with a heating, plumbing etc. wholesaler.

Not used it yet but the idea being that I can source all the bits I need (eg new boiler) from there at lower cost than I could on the high street, and fortunately my builder is quite happy to go along with this too rather than creaming off a margin for himself.

Edit: If the suppliers do insist on payment via ltdco cheque / card etc. and its a smallish sum I guess one option you have is to put that transaction against your directors loan account and just pay the money back into ltdco from your personal account.
              Last edited by moorfield; 20 March 2008, 11:36.

Comment

To all those replies to Johny Moron

Are you f'n serious people?

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  Are you f'n serious people?
                  Deadly
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

you wooden want to touch this with a bargepole

geddit ? wooden,wouldn't

igmc

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X