• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vat!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vat!!!!!

Another stupid question from the man over here!

I will be contracting and advertising a home repair service for printers and computers. with this i am confused with the vat side thing.......

Question is about when claiming your VAT back (end of year or quarterly not sure when you do that yet)
    Imagine i have spent £2000 on vat in one year buying computer parts to fix joe public's machines when i claim this back does it come back to me in a lump sum or is it given in a tax releif way??

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

jonny M

No answer yet? Odd.

Each quarter you buy stuff which has VAT included in its price.

Each quarter you add value to that stuff and sell it and you charge VAT on it.

You pay HMCE VAT you charged minus VAT you paid as a cheque or online as an electronic payment.

E.g. You buy £94 of stuff. That is £80 + £14 VAT. At the end of the quarter you can claim £14 back from HMCE.

You install that stuff on a client site and charge them £200 to which you add £35 VAT so they pay you £235. You owe HMCE £35.

At quarter end you do a VAT return for £14 - £35 = £21 you owe HMCE. You have a month to pay it to them.

VAT is completely separate from your personal tax - it is quite a different thing.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      No answer yet? Odd.

Each quarter you buy stuff which has VAT included in its price.

Each quarter you add value to that stuff and sell it and you charge VAT on it.

You pay HMCE VAT you charged minus VAT you paid as a cheque or online as an electronic payment.

E.g. You buy £94 of stuff. That is £80 + £14 VAT. At the end of the quarter you can claim £14 back from HMCE.

You install that stuff on a client site and charge them £200 to which you add £35 VAT so they pay you £235. You owe HMCE £35.

At quarter end you do a VAT return for £14 - £35 = £21 you owe HMCE. You have a month to pay it to them.

VAT is completely separate from your personal tax - it is quite a different thing.

Good man! now it all makes sense!! Thanks

Comment

Just to add to the previous (good advice) post.

If you have spent more VAT than you have charged (at startup for eg) that nice VATman will send you a cheque for the difference.

Comment

Working...
        X