• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Engineering- quiet as the grave at the moment..........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineering- quiet as the grave at the moment..........

I don't know how many more contracting Engineers are lurking here, but despite the much hyped "skills shortages" I have never known the contracting jobs market to be so dismal. 3rd quarter last year the industry seemed to be booming. Since before christmas everything seems to have died. There was a "real, actual" job released last week by a client company I know and that resulted in 7 agencies ringing me one after the other all in less than an hour. It smells of a desperate market to me, I've never had that happen before. Any insight out there as to what has happened the last 4 to 5 months to make things so dismal?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Is it just the engineering sector though?

I was going to start a thread along similar lines: Who's on the bench and actively seeking work?

Only been seriously looking for a few days and with Easter looming I'm not expecting to get very far until next week.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Well, I'm beginning to look seriously for more work even though this contract/project doesn't currently end until the start of July.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
        Well, I'm beginning to look seriously for more work even though this contract/project doesn't currently end until the start of July.

Seems a bit early unless your line of work takes a lot of preperation rather than just waltzing into somewhere else on the strength of one interview.

I don't think I've ever gone from one contract to the next without taking advantage of at least a few weeks off in between.
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I agree

Im in the IT support area and I was out of work for around 6 weeks to have a baby (..... well my wife had the baby). I was looking in between nappy changing for any contracts that were out ther and it seemed very quiet!! i was getting alot of calls from agencies but they were only really phoning for an availabilty checks and to try and get information on who i have worked for etc etc (usual tricks!)

I have a short term contract at the moment but i am finding the market VERY quiet at the minute!

Everyone else in the same boat?

jonny

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Seems a bit early unless your line of work takes a lot of preperation rather than just waltzing into somewhere else on the strength of one interview.

I don't think I've ever gone from one contract to the next without taking advantage of at least a few weeks off in between.

It's only reasonable to take time off between contracts if

1) You have enough money to support yourself while looking and
            2) It is fairly easy to find work for your skill-set.

as I'm pessimistic about 2, I'd rather start looking early and find out whether there is work around so I am at least prepared for the fact that I may have time on the bench.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Any insight out there as to what has happened the last 4 to 5 months to make things so dismal?
              Er, theres a recession on, dont you know.
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Here's a radical new idea- what about Plumbing ?

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                  It's only reasonable to take time off between contracts if

1) You have enough money to support yourself while looking and
                  2) It is fairly easy to find work for your skill-set.

as I'm pessimistic about 2, I'd rather start looking early and find out whether there is work around so I am at least prepared for the fact that I may have time on the bench.

I can see your point, but even if there's work around now that doesn't mean it'll be the same situation come july.

Sorry to be pessimistic. On the plus side, you may get an extension! Which is another reason I always wait till a gig has ended, as sometimes they only offer an extension at the last minute.

If there really is a shortage of work in your skill-set, why not use the time between now and then to expand your skills into areas that may complement your existing ones (and therefore be beneficial on your CV), with a view to moving into a different arena at some point in the future? Even if you do this in your spare time, you don't have to say that on your CV!
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Are you on the bench - out of luck or just plain depressed beacsue you didnt get your hearts desire ?

No Matter - for it is written -

The Worldly Hope men set their Hearts upon
                    Turns to Ashes--or it prospers; and anon,
                    Like Snow upon the Desert's dusty Face
                    Lighting a little Hour or two---is gone.

You see - win or lose - it didn't matter anyway !

Because - do what you will - it is all going to fade away !

And that , in a way - is rather marvellous.

I wish you all a peaceful EasterTime - and may your system/God/belief be with you.
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 March 2008, 15:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X