• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy interview?

While I've been waiting to find my first gig I've been continuing to apply for permie jobs. Have had an agency get back to me about something I applied for and the interview, while being for a large household name company with offices nearby, is in a hotel. Not necessarily very odd, but one of my friends is convinced that there's something funny going on.

The agency has just contacted me to ask me to bring my passport or if I don't have one to bring proof of NI number and a birth cert.

I've never heard of anyone being asked to bring anything like that to a 1st interview before, should my alarm bells be ringing?

A baffled Noob..

Dodgy interview? Asked to bring passport

I've also been asked recently to bring my passport to an interview. In this case it would be a direct contract with the company, there's no agency involved. The company asked me to bring along to the interview documents to support evidence of my right to live and work in the UK. Suitable documents would be:
    • A valid passport
    • A Visa / work permit (if applicable)

The company is saying that they need these documents in order for them to comply with the Immigration & Asylum Act 1996.

It's the first time it happens to me that i'm being asked to bring this kind of personal documentation for the interview. I had such requests before but that was after a contract offer was on the table.

I'm thinking to take my passport with me to the interview and show it to the company representative if they ask me to. But I would not want them to take a photocopy of my passport at this stage as I do not know if I'm going to get the gig or not and I always feel uncomfortable at the idea that someone else has a copy of my passport. Basically you can never be sure how they are going to store it and that it will be destroyed / shredded safely after a reasonable amount of time. I'm just trying to be prudent with my personal details given all the (identity) fraud happening these days.

What would you do in this situation ? Would you bring your passport along at the interview ?
    http://www.privacyinternational.org/
    http://www.no2id.net/

Comment

I had this last time (18 months ago). I forgot, and nobody asked for it.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've been asked to take my passport to the agency before an interview I have tomorrow, usually this is done once you've got the gig not sure why?

Comment

ID Paranoia

You should be more concerned about what's the interview agenda and what you might be asked rather than what ID you need to carry. I call it ID paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            You should be more concerned about what's the interview agenda and what you might be asked rather than what ID you need to carry. I call it ID paranoia.
            Contractor interviews are normally short affairs, getting the interview is the hardest part imo.

Comment

Stop tulipting yourself FFS

Comment

It's probably a ruse to get you into a hotel room where they can molest you, steal your money, your passport and your kidneys.

Either that or it something to do with the Immigration & Asylum Act 1996.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X