• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the Rumour Mill mafia is destroying everybody's savings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai.../21/do2101.xml

So my strategy of having no savings has finally got a positive angle.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Imagine if the market mavens took their leads from this forum!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Seconded, can't remember the last time I had any of these savings thingies.
        If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Imagine if the market mavens took their leads from this forum!
          indeed. as a corollary, suppose that Mervyn King got his lead from atw...

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            hmmmm - so it made no difference to me getting divorced? excellent...

Comment

The reasons are clear. When the Rock started to disintegrate, first its directors, then the regulators and finally the Chancellor insisted that the business was sound. But depositors called their bluff and the company's finances crumbled. The bank exists today, thanks entirely to the taxpayer.
              Had this with Equitable Life, first we were assured the guaranteed rate ruling would make little difference, then that an interest pause of 6 months would recover the situation, then etc etc. In the end many who kept on believing it lost thousands.

People do not believe such assurances because we have heard it all before. Because the FSA do not do the job they are paid to do and they allow the public to go on being deceived. Maybe they and other regulatory bodies should be looking at the balance sheets of healthy companies with a more cynical eye and assesing the risks before there is a problem.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 22 March 2008, 10:49.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Had this with Equitable Life, first we were assured the guaranteed rate ruling would make little difference, then that an interest pause of 6 months would recover the situation, then etc etc. In the end many who kept on believing it lost thousands.

People do not believe such assurances because we have heard it all before. Because the FSA do not do the job they are paid to do and they allow the public to go on being deceived. Maybe they and other regulatory bodies should be looking at the balance sheets of healthy companies with a more cynical eye and assesing the risks before there is a problem.
                good point - I was also with equitable. I finally moved when I read comment from city editor of telegraph - he said hardest thing is admitting you made a mistake.

Telegraph did a feature on me with a piccie of me and my ex

Comment

gold, silver, and copper-jacketed lead
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    gold, silver, and copper-jacketed lead
                    Is that what those things are in your avatar, Threaded? They look more like a bunch of sausage rolls to me or, ..., no wait don't even go there OH
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X